Hakan Ertin

Hakan Ertin

I was born in Manisa/Turkey in 1962. After studying medicine at Istanbul University, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, I worked as a physician at the Eminönü Municipality in Istanbul for a while. I did my PhD at the Department of History of Medicine and Medical Ethics at Istanbul University in 2007 and have become the faculty member in the same department since 2014.
My research interest center around a range of topics in the areas of bioethics, moral philosophy, ethics and philosophy of medicine. I am also the member the Turkish Green Crescent Society’s Board of Trustees, the member of the Board of the Istanbul University MUZEYUM, and the director of Besikcizade Center for Medical Humanities (BETIM). As the director of BETIM which is the first medical humanities center established in 2012 in Istanbul, I oversee the research activities of a group of research fellows from various disciplines involved in practical issues arising from medical research and practice. The focus at BETIM lies on drawing together various perspectives in a multi- and interdisciplinary understanding in scholarly analyses. BETIM is home to research projects across medical and social sciences.