Cornwall Workshop Participants

THE CORNWALL PARTICIPANTS

Since the workshops began in February the Cornwall workshop participant group has had comprised of both temporary and permanent members but essentially has become a team of ten. At S4S we encourage and enjoy all levels of participation as each brings it’s own valuable contribution of essential feedback and qualitative data which forms the research evidence. Here are the profiles of the group beginning with our visiting participants;

Ali Goodman 

Ali joined the Fluff-To-Fibre workshops about natural dyes. Local to Cornwall and co-founder of Francli who make workwear and outdoor accessories from reclaimed materials. Describing her products as ‘purpose driven goods for purpose driven people‘ on her website Ali explains “I salvage high performance pre and post consumer waste materials to direct them away from landfill and give them a new life.” 

Rebekah Nightingale

Rebekah also came to join some of the Fluff-To-Fibre workshops about natural dyes. A graduate of Falmouth University’s BA Textile Design, Rebekah is a weaver and who creates woven textile art pieces filled with narrative. Rebekah adds story to her work by stitching and embellishing her natural fibre lengths with tiny silver artefacts such as spoons. Rebekah is still based in Cornwall.

Anna Gillet

Anna joined us for our workshop series launch event which was a tour of the Natural Fibre Company’s mill. A busy mum and active representative for the Labour Party in Falmouth, Anna feels strongly about ethical and sustainable garment manufacture. Committed to supporting the party’s campaign, Anna embarked on a training course at the school of politics at Cheltenham.

Sarah Johnson

Sarah was with us during the Fluff-To-Fibre series to try weaving and natural dyeing. A Fashion Design graduate from Falmouth Uni, Sarah lives and works in Cornwall as a designer maker creating clothing for her own brand, Cabbage Blue. With a studio based at Cast, a local arts funded hub in Helston. Sarah also has a residency at Folklore, a Falmouth based designer maker shop.

Daniela Farina

My name is Daniela Farina, I’m from Italy and been living in Cornwall for six years. In my life I’ve done many jobs from feeding mosquitos to logistics for tanker ships carrying vegetable oil! For the past five years I’ve been working for the University of Exeter, first as a Lab Technician and now as a Lab Manager at the Environment and Sustainability Institute. I am also a mum (and a wannabe role model) of a five year old girl.

In my spare time I “home-garden”, loving the way how by a little bit of care and some basic ingredients something as trivial as a leaf cutting can turn into a fully grown plant. My and hobbies are at the heart of why I joined this series of workshops. Raised by women that still adhere to the ‘waste not want not’ philosophy, I grew up in a shifting paradigm. Instead of sensible use (and re-use) of resources, everything was about speed, price and novelty. About accumulating newer and newer stuff just for the sake of it. Deep inside I always knew it was wrong and dangerous. But working in the Environment and Sustainability Institute, and having daily contact with people that actively work to change that and who understand the minutiae of what will happen if we do not change our ways, was a real eye opener. 

And the birth of my daughter definitely changed my outlook for the future. I do not want to be that person who leaves a mess for the next generation, driven by convenience, laziness and greed. Since I cannot do everything, I decided to start by small steps, one by trying to eliminate as many bad habits as I can.

Hannah Jordan

Hello, I’m Hannah. I graduated a couple of years ago from the lovely Textile Design course at Falmouth University. I work at a local fashion brand, whose ethos is based around artisanal prints and responsible practice. After researching ‘The Benefits of Sustainable Fashion fo People, Planet and Provenance of Textile Traditions’ for my dissertation at uni, I was very much excited to be a part of this project. I am interested in sustainable consumption and production of fashion yet there is so much to consider and often we just want to buy something now and something quick – the purchase is made within an instant and we don’t think about it again!

I feel the first few weeks of the S4S workshops have been very inspiring. It has been great to meet with a passionate, motivated and varied group of people each Saturday to learn a new skill and discuss our ideas/experiences. For me, being involved in this has given me the positivity in terms of the problems created by the very industry I trained and work in; it is breaking down several layers of the issue and challenging and teaching us all to create real and lasting change.

Hollie Kirk

I’m Hollie. I’m 33 years old and have been living in Cornwall for just under a year. I work at the University of Exeter, (Cornwall Campus) helping to connect Cornish businesses to academics and am currently working with some local sustainable fashion brands. I think that paired with ideas of circular economy and B Corporation means that Cornwall could have an amazing sustainable fashion ethos and scene which these workshops could help promote. Also my style has changed from ‘fast fashion teens’ to expensive brands which I hope represent value for money. I really want to explore how and why my choices have changed.

Kaya Kimylongh

I was born in Slovenia and I am 35 years old. I have studied arts, fashion design and interior design. I have also done courses in Art therapy, Psychological astrology, Energy healing and Hypnotherapy. I am interested in changing things, making them better, making them unique. I have a lot of creative energy which I need to express in different ways. One of these ways is making clothes. Mostly I sew and embroider.

I wanted to be involved in the Sustainable clothing project to learn new things (new for me, but old knowledge of the world). The workshops we have had already have taught me about spinning, weaving and natural dying. It is really interesting and I am looking forward to the next workshops to continue learning more.

Barbara Hampson

Elitsa Dobreva

Yana Dobreva

Grace Twiston-Davies

Kay Nicholls

Sally Scotting

s4s apologies – page under construction