Following our successful writing workshop and follow up shut-up-write sessions, we are pleased to announce that we will be hosting monthly shut-up-and-write sessions. We are really pleased that so many of you are enjoying the community and accountability that these sessions provide.
Have you heard about shut-up-and-write sessions before? Have you used the pomodoro approach before? If you answered no to either of these then continue reading here.
All of these events will be on zoom. If you would like to participate, please contact Ruth to be added to the email list.
If you have any suggestions on how to improve the sessions, we would like to hear them. Do not hesitate to contact us!
Calendar of upcoming shut-up-and-write events
All of our events will start with a 15-minute catch-up. So for a 13:15 meeting, we will promptly start at 13:30.
The sessions are held monthly. The next dates are as follow
Please note our next session has been postponed to September due to the University holidays.
- Friday 10th September 13:15-15:30
- Friday 8th October 13:15-15:30
- Can I leave early or start late? Yes. Please feel free to turn up late or leave early to these sessions. We want to be flexible. Most people come for the two hour block but do what works for you.
- Will the sessions finish promptly? Not in general. Some of the sessions will continue on past 15:30 if people want to keep working. If you want to leave, please feel free to. If there is a session on, feel free to write a good-bye in the chat or simply leave the meeting.
- Do I need to prepare my writing for the meeting? Depends. If you have a plan for what you want to write, this will make the first session more productive. You could also choose to make the first session a planning one, where you can layout how to structure what you plan to write. If you come with a little planning you will find the sessions more productive. But if planning is not your thing, then do what works for you.
- Can I come if I am not currently working on a writing task? Yes! If you’re not currently writing/editing and you want to code or read a paper then please do. The sessions are not just about writing.
- If I am on a roll, do I need to stop for a break when the 25-minute session is over? No. We will assume you’re on a roll and will join back in when you are ready. Good for you!