Our Penryn Campus has gone from strength-to-strength since its inception, and now leads the way in forging a greener, healthier, fairer future. This year we celebrate 20 years since it began and felt it was the perfect opportunity to catch up with 20 of our more than 11,000 alumni who have graduated from our Cornwall campuses during this time, and find out what they’re up to now. 

Ayaan Ahmed (English, 2015) 

“Since leaving Exeter, I worked for a couple years teaching after school fun science clubs to primary school children. Next, I began a career in television beginning at North One Television in Birmingham working on specialty factual documentaries and the hit Channel 4 show Travel Man. More recently, I have been working as a Producer at Ricochet Television in Glasgow, mostly on the food science programme Food Unwrapped. Whilst at Penryn, I was a Co-founder of the University’s quidditch team (the Falmouth Falcons) as well as involved with the Tremough English Society committee. I’m currently working as freelance producer.” 

Hear more from Ayaan. 

Reena Bhavsar (MSc Applied Ecology, 2014) 

“After finishing university, I got a job as a seasonal ecologist for AECOM. I then secured a permanent job in December 2014 as an ecologist for Mott MacDonald and have worked my way up to Principal Ecologist. I now lead a small team specialised in delivering international biodiversity assessments. I have always loved animals, especially the wild ones, and I am passionate about protecting and enhancing biodiversity. I acknowledge that we need environmental, social, and economic sustainability, and my job enables me to be a part of the decision-making process and gives biodiversity a voice. During my time at Penryn, I tried lots of fun sports including wind surfing at Lake Stithians and was part of EcoSoc. In terms of the course, I particularly enjoyed going on a field trip to Kenya which ignited my interest in international biodiversity.” 

Hear more from Reena. 

Harrison Carter (MSc Conservation Biology, 2022) 

I am currently a DPhil student at WildCRU, University of Oxford, and exploring the potential for green financing mechanisms to achieve conservation outcomes. It was the academic community that underpinned my joyful experience of studying at Penryn Campus. Coming from a career in Management Consulting, I was a little self-conscious starting an MSc without a related BSc in my back pocket. This fear soon evaporated. I’m grateful for the long-lasting relationships I developed with University of Exeter staff, and the moment of recognition that my unique background could be a source of strength in conservation research. The culmination of this support from the academic community fuelled the development of my self-generated MSc research.” 

Hear more from Harrison. 

Lise Fournier-Carnoy (BSc Biological Sciences, 2021 and MSc in Marine Environmental Management, 2022) 

“Since graduating, I moved to the Falkland Islands to work on fishing vessels and collect data for the Falkland Islands Government! During my studies I was a member of the Sea Swimming Society, and I proudly continued to do so in the South Atlantic, where the water is much colder than in Cornwall. Being at a campus where everyone is interested in conservation, the environment and sustainability was such an encouraging environment to develop views and opinions, and discussing with different people about their research was very inspiring. I’m currently studying for a PhD at the University of Western Australia in Marine Conservation and Management.”  

Hear more from Lise. 

Sophia Graham Francies (Politics and International Relations, 2017) 

“I currently work as a Management Consultant at Deloitte. Working in the cyber security world has been great in so many respects including versatility and flexibility; I was able to roll up my sleeves and get stuck in. At Deloitte I’ve loved working with and connecting with hugely interesting and talented people and it’s meant I could build my own path and form my own connections. I’ve found everyone’s experience is unique which is unlike many graduate schemes: in consulting from day one you are doing the job, and you’re interacting with clients. I loved my time at Penryn and the programme taught me to listen to me peers, engage in discourse, be open-minded and flexible in terms of the way I approach with problems. As well as living by the beach and all the extra-curricular activities the campus and the surroundings had to offer!” 

Hear more from Sophia. 

Billy Heaney (Zoology 2015, and MRes Biosciences, 2018) 

“My love of the natural world started at an early age, and then flourished throughout my time at university as I started making vlogs in my second year and became busy producing my own films for YouTube, as well as presenting on NatureWatch. I also set up MuddyDuck Productions with fellow alumni and got involved various opportunities throughout my studies at Penryn, such as the Cyprus Turtle Project. University was great, I couldn’t have gone to a better place for me, and I don’t think I would have done any of the things I’ve done if I hadn’t gone to Exeter. During the spare time whilst studying, and after finishing my master’s I went travelling, and further fueled my passion for nature and wildlife. I currently work as both a zoologist, wildlife presenter, filmmaker, have featured on BBC Countryfile and as a regular panelist on BBC Radio 4’s Nature Table. I’m keen paddle-boarder when I have free moments, and act as an Ambassador for the Mammal Society, as well as a Champion for Whale and Dolphin Conservation as part of the the ‘End Captivity Forever Campaign.’ I even crop back up at the University of Exeter in Cornwall from time to time as a Guest Lecturer for Exeter Marine.”   

Hear more from Billy. 

Abubakar Ibrahim (MSc Renewable Energy Engineering, 2018) 

“Since graduating I’ve been teaching, research and consulting upon my return to Nigeria. In 2020, I lead a team to design a completely solar-powered version of a Covid-19 Disinfecting Booth for Auchi Polytechnic. It was one of the most fascinating experiences for me as a researcher because my knowledge and skills developed at the University of Exeter were brought to bear. The renewable energy engineering programme uniquely positioned me to understand how nations can shift from traditional sources of electricity generation toward a sustainable, carbon-neutral future. It was fascinating to practically see how one can contribute to the production of new, clean, energy sources that reduce emissions and climate change. My greatest highlight was building a Sunbrella (more a beach umbrella with all the features of comfort all solar-powered). At Penryn, I also loved that the environment I studied in was serene and beautiful: it was experiencing nature at its best.” 

Hear more from Abubakar

Samuel Inglis (BSc Geography, 2012, and MSc Climate Change and Risk Management, 2013) 

“Since leaving Exeter, I have worn many hats and had many adventures! I returned to Hong Kong in and within a year, a friend and I had set up an expedition company for young people in Hong Kong to have the experience of engaging in exciting and unique adventures. Environmental issues and geography have been a passion of mine since I was at least 12, when I had the absolute privilege of travelling across the Indian Himalayas with my father. Being able to contribute to research, campaigns, and policy engagement actively and knowing I’m playing a critical role in building knowledge, raising awareness, and driving positive reforms have been the highlights of my work since 2016. My work now is as the Wildlife Programme Manager at the ADM Capital Foundation. The long-lasting friendships I was able to forge during my time at the Penryn Campus have remained with me in the years since graduation. I’ve been gladdened to continue to speak regularly with them, even as we’ve scattered around the world, and continued to work on academic literature with former professors. 

Hear more from Samuel. 

Thomas Lambeaux (Business with International Study, 2020) 

“Since graduating from the Penryn Campus, I have co-founded an events company: Warmer People in July 2022. In two years, the company has grown into one of the biggest electronic music event organisers in London. My entrepreneurial journey really began at Penryn during my studies. I launched a food tech startup called Nakiwi with my friends that focused on an app which allowed users to buy sustainable and organic products directly from local producers. I also began hosting electronic music events with fellow student Paul Bertrand – Sound Kitchen Collective nights – in Falmouth working with local venues. After graduating I worked different locations around the world including Berlin and Asia, for tech startups and, more recently, as a branding strategist for the American design company Monotype. Studying at Penryn gave me the space and flexibility to work on entrepreneurial projects, which led me to where I am today. One of my best memories of my degree was my year abroad in Hong Kong which will stay with me throughout my life.”   

Hear more from Thomas. 

Beth Lloyd Davies (Environmental Science, 2019) 

“After graduating I worked in the Penryn Campus research labs for six months before joining Natural England as an Adviser in 2020. Over the last few years, I’ve progressed through various positions there and currently work as Senior Reserves Manager for East Cornwall NNRs Senior Reserves Manager for East Cornwall NNRs. I’ve always wanted a job where I can work outside. So, I love that my role gives me lots of opportunities to do that. The highlight of my course at Penryn was the trip to the Isles of Scilly and I very much enjoyed both the location and being able to explore Cornwall during my studies. Looking further ahead I’m hoping to continue actively working for the environment particularly on NNRs because they’re really important.” 

Hear more from Beth. 

Sarah Morcom (BSc Zoology, 2019 and MSc Marine Vertebrate Ecology and Conservation, 2021) 

“I chose to work in fisheries because I like a challenge and I’m currently a Fisheries Observer at the Centre of Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science (Cefas). I love getting stuck into figuring out solutions that work for multiple different stakeholders. I learnt to dive with the Dive Society whilst at Uni which was a real highlight for me. The highlight of my course at Penryn was definitely the weeks of boat trips as we got to improve our ID skills at sea and a visit to Lundy Island to see the seabirds. Having the opportunity to work with IoSIFCA and Natural England for my master’s project was brilliant as well. I didn’t think I would get onto my undergraduate course as I hadn’t been predicted the grades necessary, but Professor Stuart Bearhop told me on the open day that things are always worth trying. Very wise words!” 

Hear more from Sarah. 

Ed Newitt (Applied Geology, 2022) 

“I work as an Exploration Geologist and since graduating, I have adventured to Australia to help Chalice Mining Ltd with geological discoveries. This role has been ideal for me as it combines both my passion for the outdoors and being in nature with my love for science and geology: a dream come true. Cornwall is idyllic and boasts one of the most interesting and varied geological settings in the UK and, with having always loved the natural world, joining the Penryn Campus in 2019 was a no-brainer. The location meant I had could make the most of an empty beach being only 20 minutes away and being able to explore the county on guided one-day field trips or walk at the weekend as well as enjoying my studies. This was made even better by being where some of the UK’s most fascinating geology is all in your back garden. Meaning I could learn about igneous petrology in lab one day and see it in the field the next! I loved my course, particularly how everyone knew everyone and helped each other when they could which made for a supportive work environment that helped everyone progress. This network has continued after university with the Camborne School of Mines Association (CSMA) being active all over the world too.” 

Hear more from Ed. 

Bethany Pihama (Conservation Biology and Ecology, 2019)   

“Since graduating, I’ve worked at WWF-UK in various roles and currently as a Celebrity Relations Executive to manage WWF UK’s celebrity supporters and ambassadors across a range of communication projects. I’m also part of a team (involving several University of Exeter alumni) that started Viridis Magazine, with a focus on intersectional environmentalism and solution-based journalism, in 2023. I’m the Head of Social Media for Viridis. The team and I know how difficult it can be to get your ‘foot in the door’ after university, so the magazine operates as an open platform for new voices. We are proud to say that this exposure of volunteers has aided some of our contributors in getting job offers in the past and I can’t wait to grow our audience more.”   

Hear more from Bethany and other alumni involved in Viridis. 

Charlie Pugh (Geography, 2019)  

“My 2020 travel plans were altered by the pandemic, and I struggled to find work. With little luck, in the summer of 2020, a member of staff from the South Downs National Park Authority (SDNPA) reached out to me and made me aware of upcoming apprenticeship roles. This connection was made during my degree, as my thesis subject was sustainable tourism in the South Downs National Park. The Park was a great opportunity to learn and develop. I made the most of my time there, working in a small team, responsible for the rural economy and sustainable tourism. I then travelled Europe and Australia and currently work as an Experience Host at the Zoological Society of London (ZSL). During my time at Penryn, I was captain of the FXU football team and captain of the Camborne School of Mines (CSM) cricket team in 2019. My favourite part of my studies must be the people, although we went on so many amazing trips, looking back on it, the friendships I still have are invaluable. People make a place. The small, family-like nature of being at the University of Exeter in Cornwall was brilliant. Every time you would be out in Falmouth, there’d be a friendly face you’d come across for a quick chat.” 

Hear more from Charlie. 

Guy Shungu (MSc Mining Environmental Management, 2021) 

“Since I left Exeter, I have worked as an Expert for the German Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources (BGR) and joined the World Health Organization (WHO) in 2022 as an Environmental and Social Safeguards Expert. Since I started working, I really enjoy being an important factor in raising environmental awareness, mitigating environmental impacts, fighting climate change, and promoting sustainability to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). I really enjoyed the environmental landscape of the Penryn Campus, the research facilities, the outstanding lecturers, and extra academic support from the University. My latest role is as a Strategy and Sustainability Advisor at Tech Power Services in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.” 

Hear more from Guy. 

Imogen Sparks (BA Politics and International Relations with proficiency in French, 2022 and MSc Mining Environmental Mangement, 2023) 

“Since completing my undergraduate degree, I went on to do a master’s in mining environmental management and completing internships with Cornish Lithium, Cornwall Mining Consultants, before starting my role as an Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) analyst at Teck Resources. I chose to study at Penryn because of the lifestyle that living by the beach offered me. I also loved the sustainability focus of the Penryn Campus. The biggest highlight of my programme was how many different modules were available and the opportunity to gain insights to lots of interdisciplinary topics.” 

Hear more from Imogen. 

Emily Stevenson (MSc Conservations Science and Policy, 2020) 

“In 2017, I founded Beach Guardian – an award-winning social enterprise based in Cornwall that aims to engage, educate, and empower against plastic pollution – with my dad. I studied Marine Biology at the University of Plymouth and through working on my final year project my understanding of the plastic pollution problem that I’d had from age 11 increased. We felt we ‘could be doing more, we should be doing more,’ so we started Beach Guardian. Initially it was reactionary after a storm and plastics washed up and we’d clean it up, then more people got involved and it grew. Alongside this work I undertook research at the Penryn Campus for my master’s degree looking at the role of microplastics in the dissemination of potentially pathogenic or antibiotic resistant bacteria. I’m currently working on my PhD (also based at Penryn Campus) investigating microplastics as vectors for antimicrobial resistance in aquatic systems.” 

Hear more from Emily. 

Molly Sweeny (English Literature, 2013) 

“I’m a London based scriptwriter who writes scripts about what it means to be a good person. In 2023, I turned this lens to the topic of climate change with my play Decommissioned which premiered at the Pleasance Theatre. I also work as a Community Programme Manager at Groundwork London and co-run at climate-focused theatre company:  Wise Ram Theatre. During my studies at Penryn, I spent time honing my writing skills, enjoying pasties, and being chased by cows, and it also provided a space for me to learn about the importance of place and the environment on how we perceive the world. I believe this is integral to consider when we plan for a future living in the climate crisis and touched upon in this in Decommissioned.”   

Hear more from Molly. 

Katie Taylor (History, 2021) 

“One of the things that attracted me to a job in the civil service was the room for progression and development. For me, it was important to have a job that challenged me, where there was a clear career trajectory, and where the work I did had a tangible impact on society. During my time at University, I was involved in Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Sea Swimming, and History Society. I really enjoyed the variety of modules I got to study, and the fact that students were encouraged to pursue their own research interests. I also valued the small class sizes and personal nature of the teaching that’s able to be offered at the Penryn Campus. I’m currently working as a Policy Advisor: VAT Reform at the HM Treasury.” 

Hear more from Katie. 

Pedro Warner (MSc Marine Environmental Management, 2021) 

“I currently work as a Fisheries Adviser for the Centre of Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science (Cefas), with 50% of my role being fisheries and fish ecology advice and the other 50% is in aiding in research and development projects for publication or policy development. My favourite part of studying at the Penryn Campus was the beautiful location and my professors: Julie Hawkins was especially great at making everyone feel involved and welcomed. My thesis was based around synthesising the current knowledge around the spatio-temporal behaviours of small-scale fisher’s.” 

Hear more from Pedro. 

Why not continue the celebrations and read more information about 20 years of our Penryn Campus on our anniversary web page. 

We’d love to hear your news, and memories of your time at Penryn, so do always feel free to reach out via email at alumni@exeter.ac.uk, DM us on socials or tag us in your posts. And if you’re interested in finding out more about what other alumni have got up to since graduating, look at our Alumni Profiles website.