Collaboration for Academic Primary Care (APEx) Blog

Q and A with Beccy Summers – Research Associate, PenARC Patient and Public Involvement and Engagement Team

Posted by ma403

20 June 2023

Q and A with Beccy Summers

• Can you tell us a bit about yourself and research and/or career to this point?

I completed my undergraduate degree in Biochemisty at Swansea University and went on to complete an MSc in Molecular Neuroscience at the University of Bristol. Although I found the underlying pathophysiology of different health conditions fascinating, I wanted to get a better understanding of what this care looks like on the ground. As such I attended Oxford Brookes University to complete an MSc in Adult Nursing. The experiences that I gained through this time of study brought out a passion in me for making sure that the care provided to people is in keeping with their, and their family’s, values, believing in involving patients, the public and carers in the development of care. This led me to pursue a research project focused on making patient information and education in type 1 diabetes more in line with patients needs. I was keen to continue research in this area so I undertook a PhD that was focused on making patient education and activation in cancer care more in line with the values of patients, family carers and the public.

Patient and public involvement (PPI) was at the heart of my PhD project. I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the PPI work that I undertook and saw the immense positive impact that it had on the project. This led me to the Research Associate position on the Applied Research Collaboration South West Peninsula (PenARC) Patient and Public Involvement and Engagement Team.

• What are you aiming to do through your fellowship/new post, or what is your current research focus?

I am hoping to make strong connections with local communities so that I can support a diverse range of patients, family carers and the public to be involved in research. I am also hoping to focus on patient and public engagement with young people, to inspire young people to make sure their voice is heard when it comes to healthcare and to inspire the next generation of researchers to integrate PPI into their work.

• What are you looking forward to most in starting your fellowship/new post, or the next year of your research?

I am looking forward to helping patients, family carers and the public to have their voices heard when it comes to healthcare research, and to seeing the positive impacts of this work.

• Tell us something about yourself that may be less well known.

Its always useful when working with patients and the public to have a random fact about yourself that has nothing to do with your work life – one that I have used in the past is that I am able to play several different musical instruments including the clarinet, saxophone, flute, and piano.

Back home Back