Collaboration for Academic Primary Care (APEx) Blog

Q&A with APEx’s Early and Mid-Career Researcher Representative – Dr Sarah Moore

Posted by ma403

24 July 2024
  • Can you tell us a bit about yourself and research and/or career to this point?

I’m a GP and clinical research fellow, currently working on a Wellcome funded doctoral fellowship. My area of research is improving early cancer diagnosis in primary care and I’m developing cancer risk prediction models for symptomatic patients. I’m also really interested in machine learning and its increasing relevance to our research.

• Tell us something about yourself that may be less well known/ or do you have any recommendations for a book/film?

My passion outside of work is art. I not only took a year out of GP training to do an art foundation year but recently published a book on the importance of creativity for wellbeing.

• Why were you interested in this role?

I’ve been a member of APEx for nearly 10 years now, initially intermittently when still completing my clinical training and over the past year nearly full time during my doctoral fellowship. During those years I’ve benefitted greatly from the support that comes from being a member but have had limited opportunity to contribute to the department. I hope that in this role I can give back by being a voice to early and mid career researchers as well as supporting the board.

• What are you aiming to do as the APEx E/MCR representative?

First and foremost, I want to represent the voice of our ECR and MCR colleagues. To do this I’ll be approachable and accessible to my peers and unafraid to raise difficult issues to the Board. Beyond that I will canvas opinion on what events might be most useful and begin to arrange these, in particular focussing on opportunities for ECR and MCR members of APEx to get together and share their experiences.

• What are you looking forward to most in this role?

Being in a position to represent my colleagues and also finding out what happens at the Board meetings!

Back home Back