Our world-leading environment and sustainability research underpins a wide range of postgraduate programmes. In our Meet our Students series we look at the journeys taken by those studying MSc courses within the Graduate School of Environment and Sustainability, explore why they have chosen to study with us and learn about their experiences at the University of Exeter, Cornwall. Today we hear from Elina Douma, an MSc Marine Environmental Management student!

Name: Elina Douma

What course are you studying? MSc Marine Environmental Management

Where do you call home? The Netherlands, Cornwall and Greece

Where did you complete your undergraduate course?  University of Exeter, Penryn campus

What was your undergraduate course?  BSc Marine Biology

Did you work or volunteer before starting your MSc programme? If so, in what roles? 

I did a 10-month internship with Blue Marine Foundation and worked as a windsurf and wingfoil instructor in Greece for 3 months before starting my MSc programme.

What attracted you to your MSc course? Why did you choose the University of Exeter?

I liked the content of the course; I feel like it will be setting me up well before my career in marine management. I choose to stay at the University of Exeter because I feel very comfortable here, and the professors are amazing.

What do you like about living and studying in Cornwall?

I love Cornwall, the people are so friendly. I am a very keen windsurfer, so the fact that the Cornish coastline is so beautiful and has nice waves is a big plus for me.

What are you looking forward to most about your course? 

I am looking forward to meeting people with the similar interests to mine and to the field trip to the Maldives.

What skills and experiences are you hoping to gain from your course?

I am hoping to broaden my network and gain a greater understanding of fisheries and marine protected areas.

What have been the highlights so far?

So far, I have enjoyed my Marine Protected Areas lectures and going for swims in the sea with a few of my course mates.

What are your career aspirations?

I like to be in a leadership role or work as a specialist on the topic of how to effectively protect the ocean, perhaps with a deeper specialism in fisheries.

The Graduate School of Environment and Sustainability brings together experts from across the spectrum of earth and life sciences, engineering, humanities, social sciences and business. Our programmes are all designed with a focus on developing solutions to global challenges and creating a better future for our planet and its people. Help lead a global Greener, Healthier and Fairer revolution by studying one of our world-leading, interdisciplinary Masters degrees here at the University of Exeter, Cornwall. See our Masters programmes here.