Our world-leading environment and sustainability research underpins a wide range of postgraduate programmes. In our Meet our Alumni series we hear from graduates of our MSc courses within the Graduate School of Environment and Sustainability and learn about their experiences at the University of Exeter, Cornwall. Today we hear from Daniel who graduated from our MSc Surveying, Land and Environmental Management course.

Country: United Kingdom

Sector: Construction

Job title: Junior Surveyor

Subject of study: Surveying, Land and Environmental Management

Year of graduation: 2019

Type/Level of study: Post graduate

Current Employer/Organisation Name

Balfour Beatty (Major Projects)

What have you been doing since leaving Exeter, and what are you doing now?

Since leaving the university of Exeter I have been working for Balfour Beatty at the Hinkley Point C New Nuclear Build, this is where I still am currently. Day to day tasks range from monitoring construction for ground movement and checking the position of construction works to ensuring the guidance on the tunnel boring machine is running and up to date.

Why did you choose this career? And what do you enjoy most about your work?

I developed an interest in surveying by speaking with friends and their connections, there’s just something interesting about the work that can be done within surveying as it’s such a broad area with main possibilities for specialisation. Day to day can be very different and I often find myself learning new things to improve my skill set or helping others to develop themselves.

What did you enjoy most about your programme and what was the biggest highlight?

The course covered a lot in what is a relatively short time. I feel the staff and subject contents gave a good insight and knowledge base on the majority of areas you would expect to be exposed to when starting out in surveying. I think the biggest highlights were the field work when we were able to practice and apply the teaching we had received. This occurred both on and off campus, with several trips to old mines and areas of interest to solidify the skills we were gaining.

What did you enjoy most about studying here?

Having studied at the Cornwall campus, part of the experience is that it is essentially different to what you’d expect from a regular university. I had previously done my undergraduate studies in a city based university and the atmosphere at the Cornwall campus was a refreshing change. The general lifestyle and ease pace of life I believe allowed me to focus on my studies more so then the hustle and bustle of city life. Plus it’s a great bonus being so close to such beautiful countryside and coast.

Why did you choose to study at Exeter?

Several people I had spoken to had recommended that if I wanted to get into surveying the course offered by Exeter was a good start. The location I visited and staff that I spoke to prior to making my decision also helped to make up my mind.

What skills and experiences have been most useful for your career?

A good all round knowledge of the basic skills needed to carry out a variety of surveys in addition the wide subject base covered also helped to understand what is on offer out in the working world.

What advice would you give to a current student who wishes to pursue your career?

Anyone wishing to gain the additional skills for surveying or to generally get their foot in the door can’t really go wrong with taking the course on offer. If you’re considering to do a MSc in surveying or similar I would definitely recommend.

What are your plans for the future?

I am currently continuing to work for Balfour Beatty Major Projects tunnelling and marine works at Hinkley Point C New Nuclear Build, however I would like to in the future broaden my skill set and experience by working as a mine surveyor.

The Graduate School of Environment and Sustainability brings together experts from across the spectrum of earth and life sciences, engineering, humanities, social sciences and business. Our programmes are all designed with a focus on developing solutions to global challenges and creating a better future for our planet and its people. Help lead a global Greener, Healthier and Fairer revolution by studying one of our world-leading, interdisciplinary Masters degrees here at the University of Exeter, Cornwall. See our Masters programmes here.