Our world-leading environment and sustainability research underpins a wide range of postgraduate programmes. In our Meet our Alumni series we hear from graduates of our MSc courses within the Graduate School of Environment and Sustainability and learn about their experiences at the University of Exeter, Cornwall. Today we hear from Terita who graduated from our MSc Conservation and Biodiversity!

Country: Canada

Sector: Environmental Services

Job title: Consultant Orthinologist

Subject of study: Conservation & Biodiversity

Year of graduation: 2022

Type/Level of study: Postgraduate Taught

Current Employer/Organisation Name

NIRAS UK

Tell us about your background and why you chose to go to university

I grew up in Vancouver, BC in Canada where I grew up next to an important bird area for migratory birds and an ecologically important river for other wildlife species. I connected deeply with the wildlife in my neighbourhood albeit my family were not as much into nature as I was. I decided to pursue a career path in the environmental field studying endangered wildlife as I felt they desperately needed to be conserved. I completed my undergraduate studies in ecological restoration, focusing on restoring degraded habitats for amphibians and birds in Canada solely. However, I wanted to do more international wildlife research, so I moved to the UK to complete a Masters degree in conservation.  

How did being awarded the Global Excellence scholarship make you feel?

I was ecstatic because of my financial situation at the time and the expense of international tuition fees, I would never be able to do a Masters degree without this scholarship which greatly improved the likelihood of me being in a career I dreamt of. 

How did winning a Global Excellence scholarship help you with your studies?

It relaxed the financial pressure on me whilst I studied and relieved the burden of accumulating more debt. 

Tell us about your experiences in Exeter – living in the city, joining societies, your favourite part of your studies:

The Cornwall campus was a dream come true really, the beautiful gardens that crisscrossed the campus made for relaxing study breaks from the library and Master’s suite – of course living by the sea was a big plus too! My favourite part of my studies was completing my dissertation where I did a self-generated project on a subject I was dreaming about studying since I was 11 years old. My studies included two international trips to Kenya and Cambodia which broadened my horizons on international issues facing global wildlife populations.  

How have your studies at Exeter helped you on your career journey?

I was able to gain a graduate-level role in a company focused on providing environmental assessments for renewable projects paving the way for a net-zero UK which is giving me hands-on and technical skills to protect UK’s struggling seabird populations.  

What are your plans for the future?

I plan to continue working as a seabird ecologist eventually moving into a NGO/charity organisation fighting and protecting the world’s most vulnerable, threatened and endangered species. 

The Graduate School of Environment and Sustainability brings together experts from across the spectrum of earth and life sciences, engineering, humanities, social sciences and business. Our programmes are all designed with a focus on developing solutions to global challenges and creating a better future for our planet and its people. Help lead a global Greener, Healthier and Fairer revolution by studying one of our world-leading, interdisciplinary Masters degrees here at the University of Exeter, Cornwall. See our Masters programmes here.