Our world-leading environment and sustainability research underpins a wide range of postgraduate programmes. In our Meet our Alumni series we hear from graduates of our MSc courses within the Graduate School of Environment and Sustainability and learn about their experiences at the University of Exeter, Cornwall. Today we hear from Chaitanya who graduated from our MSc Renewable Energy Engineering!

Where do you call home? India

What is your current Job Title? Solar PV Design Engineer

What is your current Employer/Organisation Name? Next Day Solar

Year of Graduation? 2023

What have you been doing since leaving Exeter, and what are you doing now?

Since leaving Exeter, I immediately transitioned into a full-time position in London following the completion of my MSc dissertation. Currently, I’m immersed in the dynamic field of solar energy, where my role at Next Day Solar involves designing Solar PV systems for both residential and commercial clients. I utilize OpenSolar for system design while also engaging with stakeholders and overseeing crucial certifications like DNO. Beyond customer service and troubleshooting, a significant aspect of my responsibilities includes conducting techno-economic analysis of solar PV systems. It’s been an enriching experience to contribute to sustainable energy solutions while continuously expanding my skill set in the industry.

Why did you choose this career? What do you enjoy most about your work?

Passionate about sustainability and driven by the imperative to combat climate change, I’ve dedicated my career to renewable energy with a focus on solar power. After earning my BEng in Mechanical Engineering, I sought a career path that aligned with my values and offered tangible impact on society. Pursuing this passion, I pursued further education, obtaining an MSc in Renewable Energy Engineering. Now, as a Solar PV Design Engineer, I find immense fulfilment in contributing to the transition towards clean energy solutions.

What drew me to this career was the opportunity for continuous learning in an ever-evolving field, coupled with the chance to leverage renewable energy to improve lives. Designing customer-centric solar PV systems allows me to directly contribute to a sustainable future while also providing invaluable assistance to clients, addressing both technical and non-technical queries. Moreover, the dynamic nature of the work ensures that each day brings new challenges and opportunities for growth, fostering a stimulating and fulfilling professional journey.

Please tell us if you were a member of any societies, groups, or sports clubs?
Yes, The Energy Institute- Member

What did you enjoy most about your programme and what was the biggest highlight?

One of the most enjoyable aspects of the programme was its comprehensive approach to exploring diverse renewable energy technologies. The curriculum was thoughtfully designed, offering engaging electives and expert guidance from faculty members who are leaders in their fields. What truly stood out were the challenging assignments and lively group discussions that fostered a dynamic learning environment within the classroom.

However, the biggest highlight undoubtedly lies in the transformative personal and professional growth experienced throughout the course. By the program’s conclusion, I emerged not only with a wealth of knowledge but also with the confidence and expertise needed to thrive in the renewable energy industry. This holistic development journey prepared me to make a significant and enduring impact in the field, marking a pivotal moment in my career trajectory.

What was your dissertation/thesis about? Tell us about this experience.

My dissertation delved into the evaluation of energy reduction benefits stemming from the replacement of double-glazed windows with Perovskite-based Building-Integrated PV technology, spanning six Kƶppen climate zones. Driven by a deep-seated fascination with solar PV technology and Net-Zero Energy Buildings (NZEBs), I embarked on this project with the goal of elucidating how these two technologies synergize to facilitate the decarbonization of buildings, which are responsible for over 40% of greenhouse gas emissions.

Throughout the rigorous research process, I extensively immersed myself in scholarly literature, articles, blogs, and pertinent videos, enriching my understanding of the intricate interplay between these technologies and their role in mitigating carbon emissions from buildings. My dissertation advisor, Dr. Aritra, an ardent advocate for NZEBs and solar PV technology, provided invaluable guidance and feedback, enriching my work, and propelling it towards excellence.

Undoubtedly, the journey was marked by both highs and lows. There were instances where I grappled with a scarcity of relevant materials and encountered technical hurdles, such as software crashes. Moreover, managing time effectively proved to be a challenge at times. However, these obstacles served as catalysts for personal growth and resilience. They compelled me to revaluate my organizational strategies and prioritize self-care amidst the demanding dissertation period.

In the end, perseverance paid off as I learned to optimize my productivity, achieving more in less time while safeguarding my health and well-being. The journey was indeed unforgettable, characterized by invaluable lessons and a profound sense of accomplishment.

What did you enjoy most about studying in Cornwall?

To be perfectly candid, Cornwall was a place I had little knowledge of before researching my university, campus, and the surrounding area. However, upon delving deeper into Cornwall’s allure, I found myself captivated by its charm and beauty. The prospect of pursuing my Masters in such a picturesque English countryside setting filled me with anticipation and excitement.

If I were to encapsulate Cornwall in a single word, it would undoubtedly be “Paradise.” The breath-taking landscapes, quaint villages, and idyllic beaches left an indelible impression on me. Moreover, the warmth and hospitality of the local community added to the allure of this enchanting region.

Indulging in Cornish pasties, strolling along the sandy beaches, and enjoying the convivial atmosphere of the local pubs are cherished memories that I will forever hold dear. Cornwall truly holds a special place in my heart, and I feel privileged to have experienced its beauty and serenity during my time pursuing my Masters.

Why did you choose to study at Exeter?

I chose to study at Exeter for several reasons. Firstly, the university’s esteemed reputation for academic excellence, particularly in the field of renewable energy and sustainability, was a significant draw for me. Exeter’s commitment to cutting-edge research and innovative teaching methodologies aligned perfectly with my academic aspirations and career goals.

Furthermore, Exeter’s vibrant campus community and supportive learning environment appealed to me. The opportunity to engage with like-minded peers and renowned faculty members promised a rich and immersive academic experience.

Additionally, the university’s location in Cornwall, renowned for its stunning natural beauty and diverse cultural experiences, made Exeter an irresistible choice for me.

What skills and experiences have you gained that have been/will be most useful for your career?

First and foremost, my educational background, including my BEng in Mechanical Engineering and MSc in Renewable Energy Engineering, has equipped me with a strong foundation in technical knowledge and analytical skills relevant to the renewable energy sector. I have developed proficiency in areas such as solar PV design, wind turbine viability, decarbonisation, and energy efficiency analysis, which are essential for effectively navigating the complexities of sustainable energy solutions.

Moreover, my dissertation project, which focused on evaluating the energy reduction benefits of Perovskite-based Building-Integrated PV technology, honed my research skills and provided me with practical insights into addressing real-world challenges in the field.

In addition to technical skills, I have also cultivated strong communication and interpersonal abilities through various academic and professional endeavours. Engaging in group discussions, presenting research findings, and collaborating with stakeholders have enhanced my ability to effectively communicate complex ideas and foster productive working relationshipsā€”a crucial skillset in any professional setting.

Furthermore, my experiences working in roles related to solar PV design and renewable energy consultancy have provided me with practical experience in project management, client communication, and problem-solvingā€”skills that are indispensable for success in the renewable energy industry.

What advice would you give to a current student who wishes to pursue your career?

Always be curious: Invest time in understanding the fundamental principles of renewable energy technologies, especially solar PV systems. Take relevant courses, pursue internships, and participate in research projects to deepen your knowledge and gain practical experience.

Stay Updated: The field of renewable energy is constantly evolving with advancements in technology and policy changes. Stay abreast of the latest developments, research findings, and industry trends through conferences, workshops, and publications. Continuously updating your knowledge will ensure you remain competitive and well-informed.

Network: Build connections within the renewable energy industry by networking with professionals, attending industry events, and joining relevant professional associations or student organizations. Networking can open doors to internship opportunities, mentorship, and potential job prospects.

Gain Experience: Seek out internships, co-op placements, or research assistantships to gain practical experience in the field. Hands-on experience will not only enhance your skills but also provide valuable insights into the day-to-day realities of working in renewable energy.

Develop Soft Skills: In addition to technical expertise, cultivate strong communication, problem-solving, and teamwork skills. Effective communication and interpersonal abilities are essential for collaborating with colleagues, engaging with clients, and conveying complex ideas to diverse audiences.

Be Flexible and Adaptable: The renewable energy industry is dynamic and subject to changes in technology, policy, and market conditions. Be open to new opportunities, embrace challenges, and demonstrate flexibility in adapting to evolving circumstances.

Take it easy! Often, weā€™re always occupied with assignments, lectures, socialising and errands. Please take out time for yourselves and do things you enjoy.

What are your plans for the future?

My immediate goals involve cultivating expertise in my field while actively engaging with fellow environmentally conscious individuals. Over time, I aim to progress towards leadership roles, shouldering greater responsibilities, and crafting a diverse portfolio spanning various projects. Looking ahead, my overarching aspiration is to collaborate with international organizations, NGOs, or governmental bodies. Together, we’ll drive initiatives aimed at bolstering renewable energy deployment in developing nations, tackling energy accessibility challenges, and mitigating the adverse effects of climate change.

The Graduate School of Environment and Sustainability brings together experts from across the spectrum of earth and life sciences, engineering, humanities, social sciences and business. Our programmes are all designed with a focus on developing solutions to global challenges and creating a better future for our planet and its people. Help lead a global Greener, Healthier and Fairer revolution by studying one of our world-leading, interdisciplinary Masters degrees here at the University of Exeter, Cornwall. See our Masters programmes here.