Our world-leading environment and sustainability research underpins a wide range of postgraduate programmes. In our Meet our Students series we look at the journeys taken by those studying MSc courses within the Graduate School of Environment and Sustainability, explore why they have chosen to study with us and learn about their experiences at the University of Exeter, Cornwall. Today we hear from Shanza Neda Hussain, a MSc Renewable Energy Engineering student!

Name: Shanza Neda Hussain

What course are you studying? MSc Renewable Energy Engineering

Where do you call home? India

Where did you complete your undergraduate course? India

What was your undergraduate course? Bachelor’s in Technology (Electrical and Electronics Engineering)

Did you work or volunteer before starting your MSc programme? If so, in what roles?
I started my career as a Representative in operations at Concentrix in 2019 later joined Aryaa International as a Graduate Trainee and then took the position of Assistant Electrical Design Engineer at Aryaa International. Since my school days, I have volunteered in different activities like newspaper drives to raise money for the less privileged, teaching in Balchandra (a wing of Notre Dame Academy, Patna for underprivileged children), and for Samvedna- A women’s Welfare Foundation in a campaign against foeticide and women empowerment.

What attracted you to your MSc course? Why did you choose the University of Exeter?
Specialization in renewable energy has been my dream, not just due to my educational background but the scope of exploration in this field. The University of Exeter apart from being a Russell group university offered a range of an option to choose from for my specialization in different sectors of Renewables including Solar, Wind, and Marine along with storage, with the flexibility to opt for interdisciplinary subjects along with research and innovation-oriented facilities with industrial expertise became the driving factor for me.

What do you like about living and studying in Cornwall?

The combination of natural beauty and the development of different projects in renewable while maintaining the heritage is remarkable. I have always considered safety as one of the primary criteria and the crime rate in Cornwall is significantly low making it an ideal place to study.

What are you looking forward to most about your course?
By the time I complete my degree, I will significantly broaden my horizon of knowledge and not just be restricted to my career but be an asset to society with small steps that might look initially insignificant but over the long term, many such efforts might bring a change through research work.

What skills and experiences are you hoping to gain from your course?
I intend to have a chance to enrich my understanding and come up with practical solutions to the current energy technological problems with insight from the industry through various activities. At the same time, understanding the different prospects of implementing a technology and their potential outcomes.

What have been the highlights so far?
The hands-on experience of implying the theoretical knowledge gained in the classroom in the practical world and analysing the results along with a special focus on research and innovative ideas has fascinated me. Guest lectures from industry and networking events where the interaction with people from different cultures and disciplines have helped me to broaden my spectrum.

What are your career aspirations?
I am highly motivated to contribute something to the betterment of society and leave a legacy behind me that can be endured by others that can act as a stepping stone in solving the energy crisis not just in my country but can be cherished throughout the world providing energy security at global level.

The Graduate School of Environment and Sustainability brings together experts from across the spectrum of earth and life sciences, engineering, humanities, social sciences and business. Our programmes are all designed with a focus on developing solutions to global challenges and creating a better future for our planet and its people. Help lead a global Greener, Healthier and Fairer revolution by studying one of our world-leading, interdisciplinary Masters degrees here at the University of Exeter, Cornwall. See our Masters programmes here.