With the array of Personal and Professional Development courses available through the University it can sometimes be a daunting task to decide what you would like to work on next as well as finding the time to do so alongside a busy day job!

So, why did I choose the Springboard course? After returning from my second Maternity Leave in early 2017 I was at a point in my life where getting out of the house on time was a daily challenge in itself as well as finding my feet again in a working environment that changes rapidly.

I needed a course which would help me discover what was important to me again, with a young family my priorities had obviously changed but my desire to be ‘me’ and progress in my career was still there, I’d just lost my way a little bit.

Starting the three month long Springboard journey with 15 other women from across the University was a little daunting but I had no need to worry. This group of women soon become a supportive and confidential network that was there for each other during the Springboard sessions and in-between.

Throughout the course we looked at what was important to us and how these values affected our choices, both at home and in the workplace; our achievements and looking ahead to our goals; developing our assertiveness; dealing with pressure and stress. It allowed me to see how I feel about myself, how I relate to other people and how people perceive me. A guest speaker attended each session to talk about their own experiences and it was really surprising and inspiring how many women higher up in the University have been where I am now.

So, what happens now? There is no doubt that this course has had an effect on my working and personal life and I believe that the changes I am making because of this are only just beginning. I feel more grounded in my decisions, with less anxiety and more confidence about my choices. Yes, my priorities have changed but I feel like I’m starting to find my way on my journey now. And that’s exactly what this is, the start of a journey.

March 2018

For more about the available programmes, see the Springboard & Navigator page