Written by Georgina Morris, Sequencing Service:
“For apprenticeship week w/c 4/3/19 I was invited to participate in a job shadowing experience. The purpose was to give apprentices working at the University an opportunity to gain a deeper knowledge and understanding of other roles and functions in other parts of the University.
I had the pleasure of hosting Indy Carpenter who is based in Estate Services in Streatham Farm for half a day, and Indy hosted myself for the remainder of the day. Indy and I had very little knowledge and understanding of each other’s job roles and expectations. Shadowing provided us with the chance to
observe each other carrying out day-to-day tasks and opportunities to ask questions and provide any feedback.
Job shadowing gave me a great insight into the wide variety of apprenticeships and courses available and the similarities and differences in the level of knowledge and practical work undertaken. I managed to gain
some IT skills which has certainly helped me going forward in the Sequencing Service.
Thank you to Jonathan Cresswell for organising the experience, and to Indy for being an excellent host!”