The Digital Humanities Lab welcomed their new GBP Digital Humanities Technical Assistant, Katie Learmont this month. Katie joins the lab in a short term post with the team, and we are delighted to have secured her appointment. Her prior experience of digitisation and research projects make her very well suited to the role.
“Hello! My name is Katie Learmont and I recently joined Technical Services in April 2019 as a GBP Digital Humanities Technical Assistant. I provide technical support to academic, library, special collections staff and students, as well as external stakeholders, wishing to undertake 2D or 3D digitisation projects at the Digital Humanities Lab. My main responsibilities also include assisting with equipment and room bookings, monitoring the operation of a wide-range of photographic equipment, 3D printing and undertaking digital photography. So far I have been involved in a variety of projects, including supporting the recent TEDxExeter screening in the lab, digitising letters from a 18th Century collection and recording a podcast in the Audio-Visual Lab. In my new role, I will also have the opportunity to visit Powderham Castle to learn about the DH team’s digitisation of a collection of manuscripts belonging to the Courtenay family.
I graduated from the University of Exeter with a BA in History in 2016 then worked as a library assistant at the Forum Library. I obtained a masters in Library and Information Studies from UCL and have worked and volunteered for a number of different organisations, including Eton College, UCL Special Collections, Royal Academy of Art, the V&A and, more recently, the European Parliament in Luxembourg. I am really excited to be joining the Digital Humanities team and I am keen to unlock the benefits digital preservation can bring to academic teaching and research!”