ParaCon is hosting the Convection Parametrization: progress and challenges workshop at the Met Office (Exeter, UK) from 15 to 19 July 2019.
More information will be available when abstracts open in January 2019. See our Dates page for a list of abstract and registration dates.
The aim of this workshop is to discuss and share the latest scientific understanding in convection parametrization research, and follows on from the 2017 Delft meeting on the future of cumulus parametrization. It is hosted by the ParaCon research programme, whose goal is to make significant advances in the representation of convection across model scales from 100 km down to 1 km.
Areas of interest include:
- Dynamics of updraughts, downdraughts and cold pools
- Triggering, cloud populations and organization
- Convection Parametrization frameworks, and representation of convection in the grey zone
- Convection-dynamics coupling
- Turbulence approaches
- Model evaluation techniques