Current student, Hima, shares why she was happy with her accommodation despite not getting her top preference.

As an international student at the University of Exeter, I understand the excitement and anxiety that comes with choosing your university accommodation. While the university guarantees a room for applicants who apply before the guarantee deadline, it’s important to remember that your top accommodation preference is not always a certainty. This can be a bit disheartening initially, but I’m here to reassure you that it often works out for the best.

When I applied, my top choice was a Lafrowda studio on campus. The convenience of living on campus and having a private space seemed like the perfect fit for me. However, I ended up being allocated to my second choice, a standard room in Kingdom Mews (St. David’s), an off-campus accommodation. At first, I was disappointed and worried about the off-campus experience. Would it be as convenient? Would I feel isolated?

Those concerns quickly dissolved as I settled into Kingdom Mews. One of the most significant advantages of living here is the free university shuttle bus, making it easy to commute to campus. Additionally, the proximity to St David’s Station and various bus stops offers excellent connectivity to the rest of the city and beyond. Grocery shopping is convenient too, with several shops nearby, ensuring I have everything I need within a short walking distance.

What truly made Kingdom Mews a great fit for me, however, was the vibrant community. Living off-campus, I had the opportunity to meet students from various countries, each bringing a slice of their culture to our shared experience. We often gather in the common areas to cook and share meals, celebrate different festivals, and explore the city together. These interactions have not only enriched my university experience but also broadened my cultural horizons.

For those of you waiting to hear about your accommodation, I encourage you to keep an open mind. Check the university’s guidelines and deadlines to ensure you secure your spot, but also embrace the possibility that your second or third choice could be just as rewarding, if not more so, than your first. Every accommodation option at the University of Exeter has its unique perks and can contribute to a fulfilling university experience.

Remember, it’s often the unexpected turns that lead to the most memorable and enriching experiences. Your room is just a part of your university journey; the people you meet and the experiences you share will define it. So, stay positive, be open to new possibilities, and look forward to an exciting adventure ahead.