Wribhu Ghosh graduated from the University of Exeter, Camborne School of Mines, Penryn, with an MSc Renewable Energy Engineering, 2020. He’s currently a Data Analyst with Celtic Sea Power. 

Before my MSc I was a mechanical engineer, and had a career in the auto industry in India. I was a regional service manager overseeing the business and operation in seven states, with a team in the excess of four hundred people reporting to me directly or indirectly.

Then I started growing a conscience. I feel the term ‘saving the planet’ is massively arrogant and the fight is actually for saving humanity, and is the biggest threat humanity has ever faced and everyone is obliged to contribute to this fight in whatever capacity possible.

“I started growing a conscience. I feel the term ‘saving the planet’ is massively arrogant and the fight is actually for saving humanity… everyone is obliged to contribute to this fight in whatever capacity possible.”

Wribhu Ghosh, MSc Renewable Energy Engineering, and current Data Analyst with Celtic Sea Power

What did you enjoy most about your time at Exeter, and what was the biggest highlight?

Academia and seeking knowledge and qualification was the first step for me. The course was initially intimidating after coming back to education post a twelve-year hiatus, but the University and the curriculum, the faculty, and the staff were extremely friendly, supportive, and encouraging that I have never felt this inspired in my life. The course is very expensive for someone coming from a weaker economy, but it was absolutely worth it.

The course was full-on and I wanted to invest every ounce of my energy to learn as much. This became my life and I didn’t have time for any distraction, and I enjoyed every second of it.

The thoughtful design of the curriculum, how it was kept open and left to the students to pursue their interest, and how the institution and the faculty provided every kind of support to go into as much detail with it. ‘Uncle Kev’ – as we would call Doctor Kev Hughes – always said, “knowledge is cheap and easily available, but it’s the skills that are worth its weight in gold”. I think that’s the biggest takeaway, and also the biggest difference from the previous education system I am coming from where I struggled to keep my motivation at times.

“The course was initially intimidating after coming back to education post a twelve-year hiatus, but the University and the curriculum, the faculty, and the staff were extremely friendly, supportive, and encouraging that I have never felt this inspired in my life.”

What skills and experiences have been most useful for your career?

In the second term, I took one module called Sustainable Architecture, the main reason for taking it was the module leader Adam, and I just wanted to work with him. His enthusiasm energy and honesty were infectious. I didn’t have any other expectations from that module initially and focussed my attention on the other more engineering focussed modules. But in my previous job designing solutions to make domestic properties energy efficient and cutting their carbon footprint, the knowledge I acquired in that module has proven invaluable.

After my MSc I was employed by ZLC Energy Limited as a Renewable Energy Design Engineer.

My role included

• Designing and delivering renewable energy solutions including Solar PV, Solar Thermal, Heat Pumps as well as develop skills in Wind, Hydro, and Combined Heat and Power.
  • Developing initial as well as detailed designs, performance calculations, installation specifications, system drawings, and schematics.
  • Project support by developing detailed project planning, procurement of necessary materials and equipment, method statements, and risk analysis.
  • Tracking of jobs, including cost and schedule analysis as well as securing third party approvals like planning, and grid connection
  • Monitoring and evaluation of individual and alternative sustainable technologies specifically all aspects of microgeneration, energy efficiency, off-grid autonomy, water harvesting, and recycling
  • Developing integration solution including control system engineering as well as evaluation and monitoring of product suppliers

What advice would you give to a current student who wishes to pursue your career?

Keep an open mind, and never get intimidated by anything. There are wonderful people around to help with it, but you must make the first step towards it. Never feel shy to reach out.

“Keep an open mind, and never get intimidated by anything. There are wonderful people around to help with it, but you must make the first step towards it. Never feel shy to reach out.”

What are your plans for the future?

I am currently working as a Data Analyst for Celtic Sea Power, and offshore wind has always captured my imagination. I do have aspirations of teaching young minds and in a few years will probably come back to academia. I also want to do something meaningful for my home country India, whose taxpayer money subsidized my first degree and helped me be where I am today.