Photo of Isabelle. She is a light skinned person with long brown hair. She is wearing a white shirt and standing in front of a red background.
Isabelle Brown, targetjobs First Generation Undergraduate of the Year Winner 2022, and current Exeter student

In a special post for International Women’s Day 2023 we hear from Isabelle Brown, who won the prestigious targetjobs Undergraduate of the Year Award 2022 in the category of ‘First Generation.’ She completed an internship with HSBC and is now HSBC Campus Ambassador. Isabelle is a current BA Modern Languages undergrad at our Streatham Campus.  She told us about her experience of applying for and winning her category in Undergraduate of the Year, what it’s like working for HSBC, and what the future holds after Exeter.

After subscribing to the targetjobs email at the Freshers’ Fair, I received an email that advertised the Undergraduate of the Year awards. The Awards are an annual competition aimed at finding the best undergraduates in the UK within specific areas, such as future careers (CFO, Management etc.) and other categories (Excellence through Adversity, LGBTQ+ etc.). I had never thought to apply for these Awards prior to my third year, which I spent abroad, teaching in France and studying in Spain. During this year I was seeking to improve my employability and gain experience of the graduate recruitment process. Being the first member in my family to go to university, I applied for the First Generation Undergraduate of the Year Award in November. This Award was issued by targetjobs in association with SHL and was partnered with HSBC.

“Being the first member in my family to go to university, I applied for the First Generation Undergraduate of the Year Award in November.”

The application process was both insightful and exciting; I completed an online assessment with situational, numerical and inductive reasoning tests devised by SHL, a series of online HSBC assessments, three written questions set by HSBC and two 1-1 virtual interviews on the Virtual Experience day. Having listened to a panel of former award finalists/winner, I learnt that the most important thing throughout the process was to be myself, this helped to ease my nerves slightly.

“I learnt that the most important thing throughout the process was to be myself, this helped to ease my nerves slightly. Another strategy which helped me to feel calmer and slightly more confident, when completing the two interviews during the Virtual Experience Day, was by feeling prepared.”

Another strategy which helped me to feel calmer and slightly more confident, when completing the two interviews during the Virtual Experience Day, was by feeling prepared. I had briefly drafted responses to the typical interview questions such as:

• Tell us about yourself
  • Why should we hire you?
  • What is your greatest strength?
  • Describe a time when you have been part of a successful team
  • What’s your greatest accomplishment
  • What is your biggest weakness?
  • Can you give an example of a time when you had to cope with a difficult situation?
  • Describe a time when you came up with a creative solution to a problem
  • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I also planned answers to more specific questions that included:

• Why do you want the role of Wealth and Personal Banking?
  • Why do you want to work for HSBC?
  • What do you know about our company?
  • Do you know our values?
  • Could you guide us through your decision-making process?
  • Why do you want to work for HSBC?
  • What do you know about our company?
  • Do you know our values?
  • What would you do if a client was left unsatisfied from HSBC’s service and claimed to stop cooperating with the bank?
  • Do you believe that offering tailored customer service is important? How would you prioritise that if given a chance?
  • Describe why it is important to build relationships between colleagues from different departments

“Later in the year, I found out that I was one of the top ten shortlisted for the award in March and was invited to attend the final Awards ceremony at East Wintergarden in Canary Wharf .”

While I knew it was important to be natural in the interviews and to not sound scripted, this preparation helped to me incorporate precise examples to support my answers, as well as company-specific knowledge, to show that I had done my research and really was interested in the role. Despite the assessments being nerve-racking, I felt a sense of achievement when completing them, and benefited greatly from gaining valuable interview experience and receiving constructive feedback on my performance. After completing the Virtual Experience Day it was impossible to know if I was going to be successful in securing an internship with HSBC, making the news that I had been accepted a lovely surprise.

Later in the year, I found out that I was one of the top ten shortlisted for the award in March and was invited to attend the final Awards ceremony at East Wintergarden in Canary Wharf on Friday 29 April.

The afternoon began with a champagne reception and time to network with fellow finalists, it was then followed by a few speeches from targetjobs and a three-course lunch. The award presentation, hosted by Sue Perkins (comedian, broadcaster, actor, writer and television presenter, most notably of The Great British Bake Off), commenced after lunch.

The criteria for the Award included showing self-motivation, being naturally proactive, demonstrating and enjoying when working on one’s own initiative; embracing diversity and having the ability to build strong, trusting relationships with all kinds of people; being able to engage with others respectfully and listen carefully; and thriving in achieving results through teamwork.

“I got to meet such inspirational students, connect with HSBC members and talk to lovely the Sue Perkins.”

Out of 3968 applications and 122 amazing finalists, I felt extremely honoured and grateful to be one of the twelve winners of an Award. I got to meet such inspirational students, connect with HSBC members (some of whom I met virtually on the assessment centre day) and talk to lovely the Sue Perkins! It was an incredible experience and one that I will cherish and never forget.

Through winning this Award I benefited from an array of amazing opportunities. Alongside an 8-week Wealth and Personal Banking Internship with HSBC, which I had already obtained before receiving the Award – thanks to sitting additional tests during the application process – I also got the opportunity to attend a one-to-one breakfast meeting with a senior member of the bank.

“The criteria for the Award included showing self-motivation, being naturally proactive, demonstrating and enjoying when working on one’s own initiative; embracing diversity and having the ability to build strong, trusting relationships with all kinds of people; being able to engage with others respectfully and listen carefully; and thriving in achieving results through teamwork.”

My internship was both remote and in person. While I completed most of it at home, I did occasionally commute to both the Birmingham Headquarters and the Canary Wharf London office, to benefit from building connections with colleagues and getting an authentic feel of what it was like to work for HSBC.

Throughout my time at HSBC, I contributed not only to the business but also to the wider community. A few highlights include joining GRAD Climate Action Network and taking part in an initiative encouraging people to make more sustainable decisions, fundraising £1,630 for the mental health charity Mind and taking on the role of Social Lead, connecting interns from the 2022 cohort both in person and remotely.

In August, at the end of the internship, I completed a check-out interview, during which I expressed my interest in returning to HSBC after graduating. In early September, I received a phone call to say I had been accepted onto the Wealth and Personal Banking 18-month graduate scheme, comprised of three 6-month placements. I was very excited and felt honoured to receive this offer.

“I received a phone call to say I had been accepted onto the Wealth and Personal Banking 18-month graduate scheme, comprised of 3 6-month placements. I was very excited and felt honoured to receive this offer.”

I would encourage anyone with an interest in either banking or working for an international company, whether you’re an undergraduate in first, penultimate or final year, and no matter what your degree discipline, to apply for an HSBC internship. You will get first-hand experience of what it’s like to work for a global bank. They’re looking for people with ambition and motivation to develop their skills in a fast-paced environment. HSBC’s global internship programmes include Wealth and Personal Banking, Commercial Banking, Global Banking & Markets, and Digital Business Services.

The Emerging Talent team organise such an enriching scheme that provides you with an inclusive, supportive network, the opportunity to gain connections, grow and make a true difference to the future of banking. Throughout my internship I have found them to be a truly innovative, inclusive and caring employer.

Find more information and apply here

You can find out more about Isabelle’s win here

Undergraduate of the Year 2023 winners are announced on 21 April