Hi everyone! I’m Tom, and I have just finished studying Law with Business at the Penryn Campus in Cornwall. For many, this period can be an exciting time for those who are eagerly awaiting their results and the next journey in their lives or careers. However, if you’re anything like me you’ll have no clue what your next steps are! Hopefully, this blog will try to ease any potential discomfort about post-graduation uncertainty, coming from someone who is navigating that very same process right now. 

Trying to find out which direction I’m going in life

Embracing Uncertainty 

Graduating from university is a significant milestone that brings about a sense of uncertainty. It’s important to recognise and embrace this uncertainty as a natural part of the transition into in a different chapter of your life. It marks the change from a more structured educational journey to a more open-ended chapter. This can be understandably overwhelming, but this feeling of uncertainty is a shared experience among many graduates, and you are not alone in feeling uneasy about the unknown. 

Every graduate is at a different stage along their own path. Some may have jobs lined up, while others may still be figuring out their next steps. These differences in circumstances are entirely normal and should not be unsettling. Personally, I have found it worrying at times when I’ve faced rejections in job applications and then I scroll through LinkedIn to see my peers who have seemingly got their lives all figured out while I’m still unsure about my future. Even some of my closest friends have secured jobs and are ready to step into the ‘real world’, which can feel daunting as I am still uncertain. However, recognising that we are all at different stages is the key to embracing this uncertainty. 

Whether you’ve faced countless rejections or are entirely unsure about what to do next, that is okay. It’s easy to compare yourself to friends and others around you, which may make you feel more uneasy if they appear to be in a more certain position. But remember, everyone’s path is unique, and it’s perfectly fine to be where you are. It sounds cliché but I am a big believer in that things will work out exactly as they’re supposed to, and I’m sure this will be the case here. In fact, sometimes these delays can even lead to unexpected and more positive opportunities that will put you on a better path.  

Sunset over one of the beaches near Penryn Campus

Tackling Uncertainty Going Forward

One of the most alarming aspects about the uncertainty may be the financial stress that comes with not having a job lined up. For me, creating a rough plan has been the most effective way to make the uncertainty more manageable. Here’s my plan for how I will be approaching my uncertainty, and hopefully this process can help you too!

Setting Goals

Although you may not know exactly which direction you want to end up in life, I think most of us will have at least some rough goals or plans. Perhaps if this isn’t the case for you, maybe this is a time to take a step back and start thinking more about your aspirations. I think it is important to have some goals in place as they will help provide at least some direction and motivation for the short-term, even if this ends up changing later down the line! Personally, I have always dreamed of visiting Australia, and preferably sooner rather than later. This aim is giving me a general direction of something to work towards, and then it’s just about figuring out how to earn and save money so that I am able to achieve this goal.

Finding a Job 

With this goal is mind, it’s clear that some way or another I will have to earn and save money. Of course it would be ideal if I had landed my dream job, or a job that I feel could support me into reaching this goal, but that hasn’t been the case. Whilst I will continue to utilise Handshake for graduate-specific opportunities in my preferred career field and apply to these jobs, I’m also realistic about needing to work in some roles that might not align with my long-term aspirations to achieve this goal. This will help me earn money which can support me into whatever I eventually decide to do, even if these plans change or alter further down the line. 

Flexibility

This brings me onto my next point about flexibility. Rarely in life do things work out exactly as planned. Studying a primarily law-based degree, I initially envisioned upon coming to university that I would eventually gain a role as a solicitor in a top law firm somewhere. However, after completing my degree I am unsure whether that’s the right career path for me. It may still be where I end up, but for now I’m uncertain. Again, I think this change and uncertainty can only be embraced. Being open to the potential for change and any new opportunities that may arise is crucial, even if these were not part of the original plan. I’m certainly more open to exploring roles in industries I would not have even considered when I first came to University. I can only be hopeful that these changes and my current uncertainty will only redirect me towards better opportunities that sometimes come from unexpected places. 

Utilising University Resources 

As graduates of the University of Exeter, there are some unique tools and careers support that can be utilised by graduates. I think it is important to remember that this University support is still there after graduation, as it may seem that you are on your own.  

I previously mentioned Handshake, but here are some of the University-specific resources that I intend to use to hopefully help ease my uncertainty: 

Career Zone

The University offers access to the Career Zone for three years after you leave, with some online support services being accessible forever. This means that you can still receive 1:1 careers advice which could help you decide your next steps. Particularly, this could be an important resource if you failed to utilise the Career Zone fully whilst you were at University. One of the things that I have found useful while being at the University of Exeter is their personal and professional development sessions, such as helping me with my CV and cover letter which should hopefully provide me with a better chance of landing a job. They also provide interview support through mock interviews which can be even tailored to a specific career path or field. There will also be opportunities to network with University of Exeter Alumni through different events which may be able to help and support you, especially if they found themselves in a similar position after graduating themselves! The Career Zone is definitely a beneficial resource to use if you need support at any stage of your career, whether that’s trying to ascertain what career is right for you or helping you to nail an interview and this resource can still be utilised after graduating! 

Career Zone at Penryn Campus

Handshake

I would expect most of you to be aware of Handshake, and if not, you really should get to know! Handshake is a job listing site supported by the university. Not only do they provide support links to gaining jobs on campus and with businesses whilst at university, but they also provide links to specific graduate job roles available exclusively to University of Exeter students under Graduate Business Partnerships (GBPs). I find this helpful for when job-searching as I am often overwhelmed by the different job titles and roles there are out there. However, when looking for job opportunities on Handshake I know that these are more specifically targeted at recent graduates which helps make my job search more relevant and focused on roles that are specifically for someone like me, a graduate! Additionally, there are opportunities to connect with and talk to employers that are looking to hire students (and graduates), which is something I have personally not utilised enough, but is a valuable resource that could help find a job and tackle any post-graduation uncertainty. 

Post-graduation uncertainty is a genuine concern during the transition from being a student to embarking on the next chapter of your life, and this can be daunting. However, it’s important to remember that this is a perfectly normal and shared experience that many graduates go through. Everyone’s path is unique and embracing this can be the first step to easing any uncertainties. 

There are various ways of dealing with the uncertainty, and this goes beyond the ways I have laid out here. Trying to make goals to provide some direction and remaining open to any new opportunities are crucial, even if they weren’t part of your original plan. Remember, the University is always there to support you should you need it, even after graduating! 

I hope that this blog can help you embrace the uncertainty that is a natural part of graduating, and that it reassures you that there are steps and support in place that can help ease your worries!  

Tom