My name is My Anh, and I am a Vietnamese international student studying MSc Marketing at the University of Exeter. After more than nine months of studying at this university, I’d like to share my personal experience with you.

Student profile photo

Before deciding to pursue a Masters degree in the UK, I already had four years of work experience in Vietnam. As a result, I chose the university very carefully because I felt it would have a direct influence on my future job. My first and most important criteria was the rating, therefore I only considered Russell Group universities. However, the more I looked into it, the more I realised that the majority of top-ranked Russell Group institutions are well-known predominantly for their research and academic contributions, which is not the path I want to follow in the Marketing and Business industries. So, instead of relying just on the university’s overall ranking, I began to evaluate industry and course rankings. Throughout my research in Vietnam, I discovered that Exeter is a member of the famous Russell Group, has a top-ranked Business School, has friendly and helpful staff who responded quickly to my questions, and offers generous scholarships to international students. That’s when I applied and chose Exeter over my other offers.

The Business School, Streatham Campus
The Business School, Streatham Campus

Like many other international students, I had never visited any European countries before. As a result, I was incredibly nervous about attending university and had a thousand what-if scenarios running through my mind. What if I can’t get along with my flatmates or classmates, and I end up having no friends in the whole new country? What if I fail to understand what the professors say in class and fall behind the other students? What if the locals dislike international students and I face discrimination? A thousand what-ifs frightened me, and I’d already planned solutions for some of the worst-case scenarios, such as returning home every term break or shutting myself in my dorm room trying to study for additional hours to avoid falling behind.

The University of Exeter has demonstrated that all of my “plan Bs” were unnecessary. Not only have I built strong bonds with my flatmates from other countries, but I have also made many new friends in the Marketing course from all backgrounds and occupations. I have learned about how marketing organisations operate in Malaysia, Singapore, India, China, and Germany. My favourite part of being a student is that the University of Exeter consistently ensures that we stay connected and that every student feels appreciated. Every week, the University hosts Intercultural Cafe, where you can get free pastries and coffee while also making new friends. I have met a lot of fantastic friends there, and we’ve even travelled together!

Students playing card games and eating pastries at the Intercultural Cafe
Intercultural Cafe, Streatham Campus

In terms of academics, the lecturers are really encouraging and open to questions. The classes are specifically tailored to the students’ needs, and I can always rewatch lecture recordings at my own pace, which helps me overcome the language barrier. The most important aspect of the University is that it delivers on its promises, with a strong emphasis on student employability. I have had the opportunity to participate in valuable career programmes such as job fairs, the Career Mentor Scheme, and one-on-one coaching with professional personnel to improve my CV and LinkedIn profile. I’m happy since they are exactly the reasons I wanted to attend university in the first place.

In terms of people, Exeter is a charming city where you can find virtually everything you need within walking distance. Everyone is kind and welcoming to international students. I feel quite comfortable living and studying in the city, and I am confident you will understand why once you visit!

Looking back after nine months, the University of Exeter has provided me with the most transformative year of my life. However, I also experienced homesickness, the sensation of despair after a fight with my flatmate, and the feeling of disappointment after scoring poorly on an important assignment or failing a job interview. However, at university you are not alone, and these feelings will rapidly go away. You can always contact other friends or University personnel to discuss your difficulties, and we can start fresh. If given the opportunity, I would absolutely choose to relive my Exeter experience exactly as it is. I am aware that there will be obstacles ahead, but I am confident that Exeter will always be a place I can rely on after graduation.

I am pleased to be an Exeter student, and I trust that you will enjoy all of your experiences here!

Boats and shops at Exeter Quay
Exeter Quay