It’s SJ and Emerald here today; to introduce you to some of the most crucial insider knowledge that you just must know before you begin your journey at the University of Exeter. From lectures and accommodation to nightlife and even the campus cat! We’re here to get you up to speed about both the Exeter and Penryn locations so that you’re fully prepared, ready for September when you join the Exeter family.

Starting with me, Emerald, let’s get introduced! If you remember from my previous blogs, you’ll know I’m an international postgraduate student, pursuing an MA in Creative Writing studying at the University’s biggest campus, the Streatham campus. I come from a southeast Asian country called Myanmar and flew to the UK without knowing much of the geography of the city at all. All I knew and imagined about what the city would look like was from random YouTube videos!  

And then onto me, SJ, I currently study at the Penryn Campus! If you remember correctly, I am a Renewable Energy student, meaning I get involved with many different faculties across campus and get to meet a huge range of individuals. Amongst most others in Cornwall, I adore all our beaches and our stunning campus.

Penryn Campus

However, before I arrived at uni last September, I knew very little about just what was in store for my Freshers year. And while Emerald and I think it’s adventurous not to know a lot of things before your arrival, this can be daunting! And so, if you feel like you’d like to know some tips about life at the University of Exeter, then this blog is for you.

Accommodation

SJ: In terms of accommodation here in Fal (short for Falmouth, where the Penryn campus is based), the University has two main options: The Sidings and Glasney Student Village. I stayed in Glasney for my first year. It’s on campus, with easy access to everything and a really close-knit community where you live only seconds away from all your friends. One of my personal favourite factors about it, is that it’s actually possible to get to some of the lecture theatres in under 4 minutes from any block. Yes, that means you can wake up at 8:40 and comfortably make it to your 9am! Your other choice is The Sidings. While this is a 15-minute walk away from campus, it is still pretty ideal as it’s right next-door to the train station (meaning, unlike Glasney people, when it comes to Christmas time you don’t have to haul a humongous suitcase downstairs and up a hill just to get on a train).

Falmouth

And in this one you do also get a TV and sofas, so I guess it has its perks. However, my absolute fav thing about all of the Penryn Campus accommodation (except for the Glasney shared rooms, which btw you are very unlikely to get unless you request one), is every single bedroom has a double bed!

Emerald: As a postgraduate student, I prefer to have a lot of me-time. That’s what I thought before I started at Exeter anyway. So, I chose a self-catered studio in Birks Grange, which I have to myself, rather than any other options such as an en-suite, single room, or a townhouse, which have shared kitchens and/or bathrooms with other students. I just wanted a room of my own.

A room of my own

The self-catered option was perfect for me, however I kind of wish that I chose an en-suite room or an option to live in a townhouse as I would have had more chances to sit down in a living room or a communal room to watch movies together with my flat-mates. We do have a common kitchen and a living room, located opposite our building, but to go there daily does not really work out for most of us living in studio rooms. After a long day, we would rather go back into our own studios and rest up for another day. But if you want your peace of mind every day, a self-catered studio room is perfect for you!

Cardiac Hill during autumn

Another thing that I wished I had known about was the infamous Cardiac Hill (yes – this is its real name!). I love studying and working on my projects in a library so going to the campus is included in my everyday routine. But to live down at the bottom of Cardiac Hill is a different story. I can assure you that if you are not a sportsperson, you will lose your breath while climbing up the hill. So, if you want a free cardio workout, come live in Birks Grange and make friends with adorable squirrels of the Cardiac Hill – they’re like tourist guides along the trail. 

Seminars vs. Lectures vs. Tutorials 

SJ: As a Renewable Energy student, I have a great range of seminars, lectures and tutorials. But have you got any idea what the difference between all these things really are? I certainly didn’t before my first term! Turns out, seminars are pretty much your average group classes that you might have once or twice a week per module, and then tutorials are smaller group or one-to-one sessions where your lecturer might set you work, and you complete it in lesson with their help – very popular for maths modules.

Daphne du Maurier Theatre

Lectures can massively vary, for most courses you could have up to 300 people in the Daphne du Maurier or Chapel Lecture Theatre. However, I tend to have many lectures in the in Peter Lanyon or Exchange Lecture Theatres, which only hold about 40 people. I will say though, the Chapel Lecture Theatre have to be my favourite as at a 9am in there on a winter morning, you can actually see the sun rising through its stained-glass windows!  

Emerald: For Creative Writing students like me, we mostly have seminars to attend. The size of a seminar is between 10 and 15 students, so we get to discuss our minds openly and effectively.

Our seminar classrom during term 2

We’ve also had several lectures from visiting professors, and accomplished authors in a lecture room in the Queen’s building throughout the academic year. As for the tutorials, we can book office hours with the personal tutors that are assigned to us. In my country, personal tutors are mostly PhD students or Master’s Students (I worked as a part-time tutor while studying my Masters) but to my surprise, here, my personal tutor is the professor himself, so sometimes I find it quite intimidating to chat or discuss every general topic or silly things that come into my mind. But hey, isn’t it better to have these talks with a professional and hone your social and networking skills at the same time?

On Campus! 

SJ: Now as much as in Penryn we have a fairly compact campus, it’s easy to get lost when you haven’t familiarised yourself yet! So, to give a brief overview… The Peter Lanyon building is home to small lecture theatres and seminar rooms (this is the one right by Glasney!), Daphne du Maurier (or DM as many say), is the big blue building further up campus, home to the labs and a big lecture theatre. The Exchange is also an important building that holds the library, more seminar rooms and a lecture theatre. The Chapel Lecture Theatre is the building by the gardens, opposite The Stannary. And finally, the one to really remember, The Stannary. This holds a bar and a cafeteria. The bar serves super cheap pints (the norm would be a Study Après for £3) and is a great place for a well-deserved post- lecture drink. The cafeteria is where catered students receive their meals, but also sell delicious food for everyone (the nachos are my personal fav). However, it also doubles up as the perfect location for events such as the Winter Ball!  

Tremough House

Emerald: As my campus is the University’s biggest campus, we have a lot of places to explore such as Forum and Devonshire House, where my friends and I have group studies at the library (perfect for all-nighters as well!) as they have cafes like Pret and Barisca to boost your energy during studies, Reed Hall, (and its picturesque gardens), the Northcott Theatre; (the University theatre hosting local, national and student productions, family shows, music and comedy), and the Sports Park on top of yet another hill (a lot of cardio before your gym workout so that’s a plus!).

Moreover, if you follow the social media accounts of current students, you will know about Napoleon already! Who is he? I like to think of him as a General and Emperor of the ton (resident-cats) in University of Exeter. Other cats might disagree, but he is quite famous as a campus cat and has its own IG account, namely, @napoleon_thecampuscat with over 1900 followers!

When I ran into Napoleon in front of the Forum

He is just a chubby orange cat to the non-cat-lovers but hey, make sure to take a photo with him. Who knows, that might boost your social media presence! 

In the town and nightlife  

Gylly Beach

SJ: So Induction Week and the start of first term can be crazy! But here’s some insights into the nightlife around Penryn so you know where to start. For a few bars, be sure to visit The Chintz Symposium (we call it Chintz), for their incredible cocktails and the cutest and edgiest place in town! Wednesdays, be at Mangos! £1 shot Wednesdays make it the perfect cheap student location for a night out.

The Chintz Symposium

I would also always suggest you go to our local Weatherspoon’s first, this is the place to go as soon as you get off in the bus in town. Then you’ve got Fives Cyderhouse (Fives), now this has the best beer garden and has offers on nearly every day – but the best has to be their £4.50 pints on a Friday! Also, an important thing to note, Cornwall is famous for Rattler. This is a brand of cider, sold at literally every bar in town (Fives even have Rattler merch!). There are plenty of flavours, so I encourage you to go try them all out – but if you want to fit in, I’d suggest you go for the peach flavour.

Fives

Emerald: When we say that we are going to ‘Impy’, it means the Wetherspoons pub on the New North Road near the campus. The pub’s name is ‘The Imperial’ where you can dine in the ballroom which was intended as a replica of Buckingham Palace. Previously, it was the Imperial Hotel, from 1923 until 1994. This had been converted from Elmfield House, built in 1810 for the County Surveyor James Green. The Orangery was added by Dr William Buller Henderson, who bought the building in 1897. The Orangey is where I like to sit, share a pizza, and hot chocolate or coffee (which is only £1.56!) and take pictures with my friends.

Inside the Imperial

Another place my friends and I usually hang out is the Ram Bar, in the heart of Streatham Campus. I always used to go there right after a seminar, during the second term – it was a poetry module, so my course-mates and I enjoyed reading our newly composed poems out loud while eating the infamous curly fries and iced latte.

The infamous curly fries at the Ram

Nothing beats watching birds and sitting outside the Ram, enjoying the sunshine on a lucky day. Recently, students were packed at the Ram watching UEFA European Football Championship! Exeter is famous for its Cathedral – a stunning Gothic cathedral with a rich history dating back to the 12th century (they arrange guided tours to explore medieval underground Passages).

Inside of Exeter Cathedral

Another place to visit frequently is Exeter Quayside: A lively area with shops, cafes, and water activities along the River Exe. Last but not the least, if you want to walk towards the city centre, there is a lovely Northernhay Gardens: The oldest public open space in England, perfect for a relaxing stroll. I like to take myself out for a little walk and read in the garden on weekends.

Abbreviations 

And finally, our key to common abbreviations really help you instantly fit in! 

SID: This stands for Student Information desk. You can find this online where you can make a range of requests regarding your course.  

ELE: Exeter Learning Environment. You’ll get the log in to this within a week of moving in, it will show you all the lecture notes, deadlines, and exam results.  

HASS: Faculty of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences.  

HLS: Faculty of Health and Life Sciences. 

ESE: Faculty of Environment, Science and Economy. 

PCC: Peter Chalk Centre (Streatham Campus).

DM: The Daphne du Maurier building (Penryn Campus).

CSM: Cambourne School of Mines. This relates to geology students’ academic department, but also you will be part of the CSM team if you are to join any sports team at the Penryn Campus.  Every year The Bottle Match is held where the Imperial’s Royal School of Mines travel over to Penryn and the whole uni goes crazy for the weekend’s sports tournaments! 

And that’s all from us! We hope you’re now feeling more confident about moving to a new city and some of those nerves has been eased 🙂 

Love 

SJ and Emerald