Student walking on the beach towards the sea

Hi everyone! I’m Tom, and I’m graduating this summer from the University of Exeter. Today, I’m sharing tips to help you transition smoothly into university life. 

Moving away from home or living on your own for the first time can feel overwhelming, especially if you’re moving far away from home or to a completely different country. However, this blog is here to help you prepare for this transitional period, coming from someone who moved over 6 hours away from home. Hopefully this blog can help alleviate some of your concerns and make the process of living on your own and starting university life that little bit easier!

Please note that this blog focuses on the preparations for starting university life and some advice on the transition to living on your own. Specific details of things you may need to pack or bring will be covered in our other blogs.

Before You Arrive

Join Group Chats (Optional but Helpful)

I feel like there’s stereotypically talk about needing to join group chats with other first-year students and course members before you arrive. While this can be helpful for recognising familiar names and potentially making plans before you get there, don’t stress if you can’t find one. I went in relatively blind, unaware of any group chat, and still had an amazing experience. These chats can definitely be helpful, but they’re not essential. If you feel that you’d personally benefit and feel more comfortable knowing people via group chats before you join, go for it! But if not, rest assured there will be plenty of opportunities to meet people during the first few weeks through various events and activities.

Explore Events and Societies

Researching societies and welcome events before you arrive can be incredibly helpful, as they are a great way to make new friends and meet like-minded people. I personally didn’t do this before coming and only really luckily stumbled into a society, but I wouldn’t recommend following in my footsteps!

Coming from the Penryn Campus in Cornwall, I know that the Students’ Union (SU) hosts numerous welcome events during the first couple weeks, like the popular ‘slip n’ slide’ on campus. I missed out on this in my first year because I wasn’t aware of it, so make sure you check out the events that are happening ahead of time. You may even want to mention these events to your flatmates or any new people you’ve met as a great way to bond in the opening weeks, or even make new friends there.

The Welcome Fair is a particularly important event I would recommend going to as it’s where all societies set up stalls to introduce themselves. You can walk around, chat with society members, register an interest, or even sign up! Societies are a great way to find a community and make friends who share your interests. I would recommend checking the University website for a list of societies so you can have an idea of what you might want to join (check here for Penryn campus & here for Exeter campuses). There are quite literally hundreds so there will certainly be something for you!

Learn How to Cook

One essential skill to brush up on before coming to university is cooking. You definitely don’t want to rely on microwave meals for your entire university life! If you can, practice cooking at home. Luckily, my mum helped me learn the basics during the pandemic which was invaluable. Knowing how to cook not only saves money but also ensure you’re eating healthily. It seems obvious but pay special attention to food safety, such as cooking food (particularly meat) thoroughly and handling leftovers properly. 

I recommend looking for easy, budget-friendly meal ideas online. Personally, I found TikTok has a wealth of student-friendly meal ideas that are simple and delicious. I made sure to save these recipes and they served as a staple throughout my time at university. Remember, you might be stretched for money and these student-friendly options are a great way at cooking some amazing food on a budget!

Set Up a Student Bank Account & Budget

Setting up a student bank can provide numerous benefits, including larger overdrafts and perks like railcards. I personally found that the larger overdrafts can be a lifesaver when you’re low on money. However, don’t treat your overdraft as free extra money to spend as you will need to pay it back eventually, it’s important to use it wisely for times when you might really need it and you don’t want to have used it all up unnecessarily. These aren’t essential though, but they’re certainly helpful if you need it and I would personally recommend them. Equally, I know some people who didn’t have one and were fine.

Along a similar vein, I would recommend creating a budget before you come to university, so you don’t spend all of your money at once! Creating a budget might sound boring, but it is a great way to keep track of your money and restrict unnecessary spending. I would encourage setting yourself a spending limit each week which you can’t go over. Personally, I have a bank account where I transfer a fixed amount each week. Doing this periodically over a shorter time frame really helps to micromanage my money and cut out unnecessary spending.

Book a Campus Tour

Falmouth train in the sunset

If possible, book a campus tour before moving in, especially if you didn’t visit the university previously (you can also view virtual tours). Due to the pandemic I couldn’t book a campus tour when I was picking my university options, but I was lucky enough to view campus a couple of months before moving in. I think these tours are great way at initially familiarising yourself with the campus, where you’ll be living, as well as the surrounding area. I would recommend researching places to go nearby before you go so you have some understanding of nice things to look forward to doing. Check out local bus and train routes as well, so you know how to get around.

When You Arrive

Making Friends

If you’re anything like me when I started university, meeting new people can be intimidating, but it’s an essential part of university life. Initially, start by talking to your flatmates, even if it puts you outside of your comfort zone. Maybe suggest going to welcome events together, you are going to be sharing the next year with them! Don’t worry if you don’t immediately click with your flatmates or make friends; there are many other opportunities to meet people. You’ll eventually meet new people and grow into friendships.

Student playing football

Personally, I think joining societies is one of the best ways to make friends. Societies revolve around shared interests, making it easier to connect with like-minded people. Most societies offer trial sessions, so you can explore different ones before committing. If one society isn’t necessarily for you, don’t be disheartened as you can simply try another!

Without a doubt, the society I joined in first year shaped my university experience. I even joined a new society in the final term of my final year and could not have felt more welcome, proof that it is never too late to join a new society! Societies provide a sense of community, a great way to create memories and lasting friendships.

Homesickness

Homesickness is a shared experience for many in the first couple of months and it will arguably be the toughest part of your university journey, but there are ways to manage it. Of course, keeping busy with new friends, societies and university work can help distract you from missing home. However, you will still occasionally find yourself not knowing what to do. Schedule regular calls with family and friends from home to stay connected. Having this scheduled routine may help ease this transition and don’t be scared to talk to your flatmates or friends as they will likely be feeling the same way. I can only reassure you that this feeling usually fades as you settle into your new environment, you’ll eventually settle in and the next thing you know you’ll blink and the best three or four years have flown by! 

Washing and Cleaning

Washing clothes is something you can learn as you’re going. If you don’t know anything about washing clothes, familiarise yourself with basic laundry rules, like separating colours etc. Personally, I didn’t know what colour catchers were or what fabric conditioner was until I arrived and would definitely recommend looking into these before coming! On the Penryn campus accommodation (and for Exeter campus accommodation too) there are laundry facilities with enough instructions to know how to operate the washing machines and dryers.

As for cleaning, it is important to clean your room/student accommodation regularly. It’s part of your tenancy agreement to look after your accommodation and keep your space clean, and it also prevents dirt from building up. Inspections are conducted throughout the year, so staying on top of this can save added stress as it is harder to remove stains and dirt the longer you leave them. Basic housekeeping can make your life much easier and make your living space nicer and more comfortable to live in.

Final Thoughts

The transition to living on your own and starting university life can be a challenging and daunting experience, but with preparation and an open mind it can be made more manageable. Don’t worry if things don’t fall into place immediately – you will often grow into friendship groups, and you’ll find your rhythm and eventually make some of the best memories along the way.

The initial period might be tough, but it’s also an exciting time of growth and discovery. Remember, your flatmates and friends will likely be going through the same challenges that you will be, and you’ll be learning this process together!

I hope these tips help you feel more confident as you embark on this exciting new chapter. Good luck, and I hope you get off to the best start and enjoy your time at the University of Exeter!