As you become familiar with your new surroundings after arriving at university, here’s how to become well-informed about safety and security and the support available around you.
Estate Patrol, the University of Exeter campus security service, are a friendly team who can be easily spotted in their red uniforms in and around our Exeter campuses. They work hard to provide a safe, secure and welcoming environment for everyone and collaborate with local authorities and emergency service partners to provide safety and security advice. The team are available 24/7 all year round.
Some of the help the Estate Patrol team provide includes advice about personal safety and property security, First Aid and welfare support. They can also help with things like getting you back into your room if you are accidentally locked out.
Make the most of the free safety tools and advice available to you whilst you are here at Exeter:
- SafeZone App – Provides a quick and easy way for you to alert Estate Patrol if you ever need advice or urgent help when on campus. There’s also a Wellbeing button to signpost you to the right support for you.
- Safer Walking Routes – Dedicated footpaths in and around the St Luke’s and Streatham campuses with enhanced lighting and coverage by the University CCTV cameras. Keep an eye out for the floor and lamppost signs that mark out the routes.
- Night Bus – Get home safe after a night out with the Night Bus Service in conjunction with Stagecoach. The service runs every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday evening until 4am between the city and the Streatham campus.
- Campus Safety Guide – An invaluable guide packed with lots of information about safety not just on campus, but also some great tips to consider when you are out and about, personal safety and securing your property.
- Personal Safety – Advice and free safety products to collect from various locations on our campuses.
Exeter Safe Space scheme provides support and help to people if in need when out about in Exeter at night time.
You’ll find lots of useful information, links and contacts for staying safe on the University Stay Safe pages.
Welfare and Wellbeing Support
There are a range of wellbeing services available to students living in University residences. In particular, the Residence Life Team have peer-support Residence Life Mentors who visit residences throughout the year and they also run a programme of social events to help build a positive community within the residences.
They always treat personal information with sensitivity and respect. Find out more about their support and how to get in touch on their website or social channels.
If you haven’t already, we recommend that you register with a GP just in case you need to see someone while you are here at University.
- The Student Health Centre is the NHS GP service for students based on the Streatham campus.
- You can register with the Student Health Centre online.
- Students living at Rowancroft or studying at St Luke’s are advised to register with the Heavitree Health Centre.
These websites also provide full information on other healthcare resources such as out-of-hours care.
We hope our tips will help you to feel safe as you enjoy exploring your new surroundings and settling into life here at Exeter.