On Wednesday 13 December, we were delighted to welcome back one of our alumni – Will Graydon (BSc Biological Sciences, 2011 and MSc Sustainable Development, 2013) to celebrate his 10-year anniversary since graduating from his master’s degree. During his visit, he reminisced about his studies, shared stories from his career and passed on words of encouragement for the graduating students from the Class of 2023.  

As part of our graduation ceremonies yesterday, we hosted alumnus Will Graydon. He is known professionally as 220 Kid, and since graduating has gone on to become a record producer, DJ and remix artist. On the UK Singles Chart his collaboration “Don’t Need Love” with Gracey peaked at number 9 in 2020, whilst his remix of the popular song “Wellerman” with Billen Ted reached the top spot in 2021.  

Will’s stage name, 220 Kid, originated from a charity effort where he ran 220 miles, a distance corresponding to nine marathons, over seven days. Will completed this run in 2013 on the Isle of Man to support three medical charities.   

This year marked 10 years since his graduation from his master’s degree and reflecting on his time at the University Will said: Exeter is a very special place to me. I arrived there with no idea who I was and what I wanted to do with my life. Over the four years I was at the University, I really found myself and the work ethic and determination that anything is possible. I met so many wonderful people who shaped my life and my influences. It put me on the path to where I am now and I’m forever grateful and proud of that.”  

Yesterday afternoon Will spoke to students graduating with degrees from the Faculty of Environment, Science and Economy (ESE) including Environmental Sciences, Computer Science, Ecology and Conservation, Geology, and Geography. In his speech he shared some reflections he’d had over his life and how as an imperfect person it felt special to be asked back to sharing his thoughts as when asked he didn’t feel he deserved to be. Will shared: “I’m a far from perfect human. I’ve been self-destructive and I think its important to add that I wasn’t the best student whilst at Exeter, I have attention problems and I’m dyslexic and dyspraxic. But then it occurred to me…that that’s what important about me being here to speak. That you do not have to be perfect to make your way in this world, you do not have to conform to what society says demand to find happiness and success.” 

Will also passed on some advice to anyone who might be struggling with what to do after graduating: “We live in a society where you’re supposed to have it all figured out and sorted at such a young age and you are shamed to not have direction as you get older. If I can part any advice right now its that it really does not matter right now. You are young and you are full of energy, you have a whole spectrum of opportunities you don’t even know exist yet, a wild and wonderous path ahead of you. Where the cliché saying is true, its all about the journey not the destination.” 

As well as an encouraging message for those managing mental health difficulties saying that: “I know that statistically there will be people in this room struggling and they do not know what to do, the simplest thing you can do when you leave this room is tell a friend or close one really how you feel or take out your phone and search for help… If leave you with one thing from today it is you are never alone. You are truly more loved than you ever realise and help is a lot closer than you think. I spent 17 years suffering…so please take that first step, a life of happiness is so very close. Just remember if you are in your darkest days now it can only get light, and the beauty of life is ready to embrace you.”   

You can listen to the full speech from Will online and hear what he feels helped steer him in the right direction in life, as well as listen to our conversation with him on the day, below.

We were delighted to welcome Will back to our Streatham Campus to celebrate the anniversary of his graduation and look forward to celebrating with more of our students over the next few days in Exeter as our winter graduation ceremonies continue.  

In 2021 we caught up with Will to talk about his career and having the current number one single in the UK charts and if you missed that video chat you can take a look below or online