Our Operations Chapter exists to ensure that everyone within our Digital team has the tools and support needed to efficiently execute our 2030 Digital Strategy.

We work hand-in-hand with every chapter and squad to simplify and co-ordinate administrative processes across the whole Digital department, enabling everyone to do their jobs effectively.

Take a look below for a breakdown of everyone in our Operations Chapter and what we do to ensure everything in UoE Digital runs smoothly!

Who are we?

I’m Emily, the Operations Chapter Lead. It’s my responsibility to ensure the Operations Chapter generates a tangible impact in enabling UoE to deliver the Digital Strategy. I support everyone in the Chapter with their roles involving delivering admin support for UoE Digital, management of relationships with our Digital Advisory Network (DAN), providing support to Ash Roots, our Chief Digital Officer, and coordinating the running of the Penryn and Streatham Digital Hub’s.

My role within the ‘Enablement Leads’ group (CDO and Chapter Leads – Digital Leadership Team) is to maximise the impact and value generated from the time they spend together. This involves co-ordinating their group time, facilitating frequent update sessions, and leading their backlog. I describe it as ‘operationalising the Enablement Leads’. But if we were to productise the Enablement Leads, my role is a bit more like a fuse between a Product Owner and Scrum Master.

Additionally, I’m leading the planning and co-ordination of some of our bigger external events, like THE’s Digital Universities UK 2024.

Meet our Chapter Administrators – vital components to empowering every chapter to thrive!

We’re Mike and Stacey, and between us we provide support for every Digital Chapter.

Mike – Agile, Capability and Delivery & Engineering Chapters

Stacey – Product, Design & Data Chapters

We’re responsible for a ton of the stuff that helps make UoE Digital an amazing place to work. From organising seamless travel plans and managing busy calendars, to improving admin processes across Digital, our role is so varied! Some of our current responsibilities include:

• We ensure interviews are scheduled accurately, timely and strive to create the best experience for all candidates. We’ve also developed a framework to onboard new team members fast, which is continuously improving.
  • We organise and plan any squad, chapter, or UoE Digital team activities. Check out this blog about Digital’s latest Away Day which we co-ordinated.
  • We process, procure, and track every purchase or invoice which relate to the Digital department. It’s a beast! To do this we collaborate with other departments across the whole organisation, and we’re continuously looking to improve the various processes to create a positive impact for our suppliers.

Meet Louise – our Digital Partnerships Liaison Coordinator

The DAN is a group of over 30 digital experts from across multiple industries that are providing support and mentorship that’ll enable us to deliver the digital strategy. I focus on ensuring the newly formed DAN are helping us to become the most accessible and connected university destination.

My role involves being the main point of contact for all members within the Network and to help build and maintain these relationships. I ensure that all members are kept up to date with activities, events and the latest news around any meetings and schedules within the network. Get in touch to learn more about our DAN.

How might we ensure the Chief Digital Officer does what he says he’ll do? The answer is ‘Executive Personal Assistant’

I’m Rachel. My main responsibility is to ensure that Ash’s day-to-day runs as smoothly as possible. This involves co-ordinating Ash’s whereabouts, travel arrangements, calendar, and inbox management. To do this well it’s vital that I invest my time building and maintaining strong relationship with not just the Digital team, but the wider University and other external stakeholders.

I additionally lead the scheduling for our weekly full team meetings, which includes crafting agendas and organising both internal/external guests.

And we also have our Digital Hub Co-ordinators, Johan and Thea

The Digital Hub is an online and face to face user service hub providing advice and guidance on all things Digital. We provide a personal experience via 1:1 and group support in person by our student ambassador team with a walk-in and bookable service.

Our aim is to support our students to ‘get stuff done’ by guiding their use of digital tools in a way that works for them. We also ask our students to help us develop new digital tools that make their lives easier – come and see us on campus!

Want to find out more about how we use agile ways of working to ensure we deliver? Perhaps our Agile Community of Practice is for you. Take a look and get in touch to know more.

– Written by the Operations Chapter