A couple of weeks ago we held another of our popular Lego Serious Play sessions on dealing with challenges during your research degree. The session enabled PGRs to talk through their experiences with their peers and share strategies for addressing these problems. Attendees also learnt how to use Lego Serious Play to think about problems in a new way, leading to creative and innovative problem solving skills. Here are some of the models produced as part of the session!
Overall feedback in terms of coping strategies and actions when facing challenges were:
- To remember the motivation for why you started your research
- Set small achievable goals as bigger picture can be overwhelming
- It is useful to talk with your peers, as you are living a shared experience
- The importance of self-care and looking after your mental wellbeing
- Strategies to overcome imposter syndrome (don’t forget to check out our blog post on our Encountering Imposter Syndrome session!)
We will be running this session again in the Autumn term – why not come along and learn a new problem solving technique, discuss and share experiences of the challenges of being a PGR – and play with Lego!