Exeter Law School
A red and gold logo of the School Tasking, Taskmaster Education logo. There is a shield containing the letters S and T and the words Est. 2021. The shield has leaves around each side.

Exeter Law Students deliver Taskmaster style lessons

Posted by The Law School

30 May 2024

Exeter Law students have been sharing their knowledge of the law with pupils at a Dorset primary school in a unique way.

Using the format of the hit TV show, Taskmaster, the students have been involved in an outreach project which enables school children to learn about interesting aspects of the law through fun and interactive tasks.

The Taskmaster seal

Pupils from Year 5 classes are split into teams of 5-6 to compete against each other and other local schools in a bid to be crowned that year’s School Tasking Champions. The classes are introduced to some of the most interesting areas of law and are given a chance to practice key skills, such as teamwork, communication, and lateral thinking. Just as in the TV show, School Tasking provides the opportunity for all children to shine based on their particular talents and skills.

By working with children from a diverse range of backgrounds the project aims to widen access to university for under-represented pupils.

St Mary’s Primary School, Bridport

Leading the team of students has been Dr Faye Bird:

Over the past academic term the University of Exeter Taskmasters have flourished: from bright, keen individuals, recruited from a competitive pool, to a dynamic, engaging and passionate team. I have had the pleasure of witnessing them deliver an invaluable public legal education program across the south west. They have been set on inspiring young minds, broadening horizons, all whilst putting these pupils through their paces! From modelling good advocacy, to acting out seminal cases, the Taskmasters have thrown themselves into the learning environment: learners educating learners and inspiring positive change within the local community.

Students involved with the project were Emilia Hanusiak, Gayle Williams, Julia Gadek, and Susie Hedderman. As a result of their involvement they have been nominated in the ‘Best Team’ category of the University’s Employment Awards.

Connecting with children through my passion was an incredibly rewarding opportunity which has helped me understand how the youngest members of our society understand the law. I know that as a future legal professional, I have a duty to improve its accessibility and comprehension to make justice within arm’s reach for all.

Student Emilia Hanusiak

Law Taskmaster was such a rewarding experience. It allowed me to experience leadership in an outreach program that mirrored the ones I had participated in before university. Taskmaster’s focus on creating a fun, accessible learning opportunity was an extremely positive experience; I truly enjoyed seeing the children’s creativity and ingenuity when it came to the tasks. They challenged me with their inquisitive questions, forcing me to develop ways to communicate complex concepts in an accessible way. I also stepped out of my comfort zone by re-enacting cases so the pupils could get the most out of the session.

Student Susie Hedderman

Back home Back