Throughout the ‘This Girl Can’ campaign, we are spotlighting the different experiences of women in our Sports Performance Programme. We chatted with Hannah Burton, a recent graduate from the University of Exeter, who has emerged as a pivotal figure in the men’s rugby team as their full-time analyst and GBP at the University of Exeter.

Hannah’s journey started with internship work with both the university men’s team and Exeter Chiefs, where she obtained invaluable skills that have since propelled her to her current position as an esteemed analyst. With Hannah assisting in UoE Men’s Rugby team BUCS Super Rugby league title win last week, it’s exciting to hear what she had to say about her journey within analysis and university.  

Q: Explain your job and role at the university.

After graduating from Exeter with a degree in Exercise and Sport Sciences in July, I moved on to become the Performance Analyst for the Men’s Rugby Club. My job involves filming training and games for the top 4 teams in the club and coding the games to produce statistics for the players and coaches. I also look after the employability intern programme for the Men’s Rugby Club, organising and developing interns throughout the year.  

Q: What made you want to get into analysis in particular rugby analysis?

I’ve played rugby since I was 10 and have always been in and around the performance side of the sport. I applied to the Performance Analysis Internship in my first year at university in the hope it would give me something to do in lockdown and found a love for it almost instantly. The internship confirmed that I love working in a high-performance environment and I’ve managed to find my niche in rugby. I then stayed on as an intern with the University side for my remaining two years at Uni and spent my last year interning at Exeter Chiefs with the Men’s Senior 1st team. I’ve finally found my way into this role after applying back in June and am loving it so far! 

Q: What has been the highlight of your career so far?

Having been with the club for the last 3 and a half years, I’ve seen the boys achieve some great things. Personally, the most rewarding was our 1st team winning the BUCS cup final at Stonex Stadium in April 2023. It was the second cup final I’d been involved in and the second we won, and it was great to see players who I’d had a hand in helping for the last 3 years win such a big title. This experience really allowed me to reflect on my time at the club and I felt the hard work had been put towards something big. 

Q: What advice would you give to women looking to get into this realm of work? 

Being a woman in a male-dominated sport can be daunting but don’t be afraid to show everyone what you’re made of and ensure you get yourself involved in opportunities wherever possible. You belong in that space as much as anyone does. 

Q: What do you want to do next/ what is a career goal for you?

I would love to work my way up the performance ladder and will ideally move into a Championship or Premiership rugby club in the near future. The ultimate goal is to work for an international side at the optimal level and to be able to travel with work.  

Q: Are there any women in sport that inspire you?

There’s recently been an increase in female referees in Men’s rugby and I think those women are an inspiration. Female Refs are something that has only become a thing in the Men’s game in the last two or so years, and women like Hollie Davidson, Sara Cox, and Holly Wood are people who I really look up to.  

We wish Hannah all the best for the rest of the season and are extremely proud of her progress.