Hey there! It’s me, Gaby, back again with another blog post. Today’s writing is going a bit different from my usual content – it will be more personal as I take you on a journey through my life. But before we continue, I just wanted to wish you a Happy University Mental Health Day!  

Taking care of your mental health is crucial, and I’m here, want you to know that you’re not alone on this journey. My hope is that by sharing my story, you’ll realise that you’re not alone either and I hope you feel even more blessed along the way! So, without further ado, welcome to my life journey.  

Ahh, the infamous quarter-life crisis, my initiation into the world of adulting. As I stepped into my 20s, a rollercoaster began – anxiety, fear, confusion, and self-doubt swirling around like confetti. Suddenly, I’m faced with the daunting question: what am I going to do with my life? Do I dive straight into the industry or take a detour through the realm of academia with a Masters degree? The paths unfold before me like a choose-your-own-adventure book, and I had no idea which one to choose. 🙂 

Fast forward to now, nearing the end of my Masters, and guess what? The confusion is back, but this time it’s more refined. I know I want to venture into the professional field, but the real head-scratcher is deciding which one. My brain is a buzzing hive of field interests, making the choice as clear as mud. And just when I thought I had it all figured out, a wild sense of FOMO (fear of missing out) creeps in. Social media becomes a minefield of people who appear to have it all together, making my own journey seem like a chaotic rollercoaster. 

But hold up, did you catch the word “appear” I slipped in? Turns out, most of what we perceive about other people’s lives, especially through social media, is just a snippet of the bigger picture. It hit me that the key to maintaining my sanity is to quit the habit of comparing my journey to others’. We’re all running our own race, and hey, some folks might be on lap 25 while I am still cruising through lap 20. It’s like that classic tale of the turtle and the rabbit – slow and steady wins the race. So, note to self: be kind to yourself, ditch the unrealistic expectations, and embrace your unique journey. The moment when we focus on our own well-being, everything will be better and not only that, but you will also know yourself more.  

Speaking of mindset, let make take you back to before I landed on campus as an international student. Leaving my family behind for an extended period was a whole new level of fear for me. Will I survive? Will I make friends? Will the locals accept me? Will my professors be cool? And will I get a part time job? Plot twist: all the answers turned out to be a big YES! From the warm airport welcome to a student representative guiding me to my flat after an eight-hour journey, the anxiety melted away. Exploring the town and soaking in the sweet smiles of the locals became my pre-assignment ritual. Uni life? Professors and classmates embraced me with open arms, and suddenly, all my worries were scattered like leaves in the wind. I also got a part-time job that I really enjoy doing and all the people involved are so welcoming. Turns out, life’s not so bad when you let go of the what-ifs and embrace adventure. 

But you know what’s really tricky sometimes? Even when we try to stay positive, our minds just don’t want to play along. Been there, done that. I used to think of life like a crazy roller coaster or a hike with its ups and downs. Some days, I’d feel like I’m on top of the world, and other days, I’d feel like I’m stuck at the bottom of a valley. But hey, that’s what makes life interesting, right? Well, I’m not an expert, but here are some things I learned when I was at rock bottom that might help you out too! 

Movement and fresh air is key

I’ve been trying to fit some light exercise into my routine lately, like taking a casual morning stroll around campus whenever I can, especially if I don’t have an early class. I’ve noticed cool changes in my body and mind. I feel more energised and refreshed, like a fog has lifted from my brain. Does it magically solve all my problems? Nah, they’re still there, but I look at them with a clearer mind now, and my mood changes too. Just getting out, breathing in some fresh air, and soaking in the greenery around our campus does wonders for my energy levels and mood. Our campus is full of green and perfect for walking, which helps a tonne.

Beautiful green spaces on the Penryn Campus

I recently stumbled upon a TED Talk by neuroscientist Wendy Suzuki who experienced the same thing as I did. She talks about how exercise isn’t simply good for your body; it’s a superfood for your brain too, boosting your mood and memory. And the best part? It’s free and doesn’t require a lot of effort—just a minimum of 30 minutes of moving your body can do the trick.

Don’t be too hard on yourself

I’ve been learning to go easy on myself lately. You know, I’ve gotten better at recognising my feelings and thoughts without overthinking them. It’s more about embracing them, really. When I’m feeling down, anxious, or worried, I take a moment to figure out why and be honest with myself about it. Writing in a journal might help you too. Once I’ve poured out all my feelings and thoughts, I tend to feel more relaxed and sometimes even find a solution. 

Understanding and being gentle with yourself better are keys. When you do, you’re not constantly trying to be someone you’re not or forcing yourself to always be strong. I remember feeling super anxious about picking a career path once, and that anxiety was messing with everything else I was doing. But then I realised, hey, I can’t predict the future, so I’ll just focus on what I can do right now. Step by step, you know? Doing well in my studies, digging deeper into topics I’m interested in, and seeking advice. Speaking of advice, our university’s career services team is always there to lend a hand. 

Trust me, trying to do all things at once and be perfect right away is overwhelming. I’ve learned to take things one step at a time, even if it’s just a tiny baby step, and keep moving forward. 

Reach out to your trusted one

Most importantly, for me personally, I want to keep deepening my relationship with God. I make sure to spend more time hanging out with Him, just chatting about everything going on in my life. And you know what? You might think I’m a bit too much, but after my quiet time with Him, a weight lifted off my shoulders – I feel more refreshed, happier, and calmer. His book? It’s like a GPS guiding me through my day and giving me practical insights. His words give me practical insights. It’s amazing to know I’m not alone in this journey. Whenever I feel lost or down, it’s usually a sign that I’ve drifted away from Him and need to reconnect. I know I can’t navigate life solo, especially since I have no clue what’s coming next, but He’s got it all under control. 

Find out about the pastoral and spiritual support offered by the Multifaith Chaplaincy at Penryn (info for Exeter Campuses Multifaith Chaplaincy is here).

And again, I just want to remind you that you’re not alone. You don’t have to go through whatever you’re facing all by yourself. Reach out to your trusted friends, your family, university counselor, or even to God, who’s always there to listen. 

Remember, you’ve got this! Here are my favourite quote and cute photo of my kitchen flat that I love to share: 

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light”

Matthew 11:28-30