You’ve sorted your accommodation and booked your arrivals slot. Now you’re thinking about what to pack to move to university. But where to start? Well, with this blog.
The best place to start is to figure out what’s already going to be in your residence.
Included in your accommodation
Our webpage for each residence will give you more detail about what exactly your room will include. As a basic guide, each room will have a bed, mattress, wardrobe, desk and chair.
We encourage you not to bring any furniture with you. There are also some items that aren’t allowed which you may be asked to remove. Find out more in our Moving-In Checklist. Things that you will need, include:
- Your own bedding! This is very important as we do not provide any (only a mattress cover) so you’ll need to bring or buy some for your first night. We do not recommend buying fitted sheets. You’ll find the bed size for your particular accommodation on the residence page under ‘Room and bed sizes’.
- If you’re in a self-catered residence, you’ll need your own cooking equipment, crockery and cutlery (for your information, we do not have induction hobs in any of our residences).
- Clothes and shoes
- Toiletries and healthcare items
- Important documents such as your passport and birth certificate (You never know when you may need these!)
- Personal items such as photographs and sentimental objects to help the room feel like home.
Where to buy what you don’t bring
You can’t bring everything with you and after spending some time in your home, you might think of things you’d like to buy. Exeter has a variety of shops and supermarkets, including:
- Ikea, Argos and John Lewis, plus Sainsburys, Tesco, Iceland, Waitrose and Morrisons. See the Visit Exeter webpage for further information.
- There is no need to try to bring everything. We advise you to pack lightly! Try to focus on personal things that can’t be bought in the shops. You can stock up on everything else later.
Storage within your residence reception is limited and as arrivals is such a busy time, we you not to buy items online to be delivered to your accommodation before you arrive. Once you are settled into your accommodation and term has started, you’re welcome to have items delivered.
Hopefully this has helped with your packing plans. We’re looking forward to meeting you soon!