In UoE Digital, we believe in putting our users at the heart of everything we do. One way that we do this is through recruiting a team of Exeter students to Digital to help us to spread the word about all the great student-led work we are doing, and to help us to enhance our products and services ensuring they meet student’s needs. Here is what one of our Digital Strategy Engagement Assistants, Rebecca Ellis has to say about her role in user-testing the new UoE App.

As part of my internship with UoE Digital, I was offered the opportunity to test features of the UoE App in two different ways: gathering data for the Attendance Monitoring feature, and providing feedback on the My Day feature.

Testing new features

I tested the user experience of the Attendance Monitoring feature within the app. This feature won’t be available to all students, only to those who have Visa requirements meaning they need to prove they attend their classes. Using a beta version of the app, I explored Streatham campus for two hours, going to specific rooms in different buildings to “Check-In”. I helped with developing the feature further by reporting issues and providing feedback on the experience of using the app, helping with considering accessibility needs, devices, and digital skills, and reporting on the consistency of the app’s performance to ensure students are getting the best experience possible. It’s great to be involved with development of the app at an early stage so us students can have a say in how it works.

UoE App user feedback sessions

The second user research experience was a recorded and guided testing of the My Day feature for the new app. I was shown a section of the app and asked a series of hypothetical questions about what I would expect to see on the My Day section, why it would be relevant for my studies, and if the appearance of the feature met my needs. The My Day feature showed me my academic day at a glance, including time and location of sessions. I provided feedback on what I expect to see on a feature like My Day, and any concerns with font or text size with regards to my visual impairment.

Students, get involved!

What’s really great to see with the UoE App’s development is the investment in gaining student perspective and feedback as they go, consistently testing features for functionality, and improving the app based on this feedback. There are opportunities for all students to get involved in user research for the app and other products and services impacting student experience. You can register your interest in shaping the things UoE Digital works on here.

Want to know more about the new UoE App? Take a look at our website for more info on the app and its great features.

-Written by Rebecca Ellis, Student Digital Strategy Engagement Assistant in UoE Digital