By Leeshaun, studying BA International Relations and Chinese

In my final year, it feels crazy to believe that I could have gone to another university that wasn’t Exeter but 4 years ago that was my reality. In 2019 I was planning on going to the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) to study International Relations and Mandarin, I was happy about the achievement but always imagined my opportunities to be beyond staying in London (my home). Thus, I was pleasantly surprised on A-level results day when I received higher grades than expected. At the time I was not familiar with clearing but a friend of mine told me that with my new grade, I should take the opportunity to apply to a Russell Group university. I never imagined I would be able to go to Russell Group university. So, I applied to study International Relations and Mandarin with a study abroad a few phone calls later, my UCAS position shifted from a SOAS student to an Exeter one. During my time in sixth form, I would read the academic requirements and watch the videos of Russell Group universities. Funnily enough Exeter was the first university I started following but never imagined that I would get into it. I remember my first Chinese class and the waves of excitement I felt after finally being able to pursue my academic interest and goals. 

My first Mandarin assignment (Don’t judge)

Over the past 3 years, the freshers’ events did not disappoint. The circus-themed freshers’ ball is one of my favourite memories (I say 3 years instead of 4 because my 3rd year was in Italy). I was so captivated by all the societies available, I joined the Model United Nations Society (MUN). I wanted to have my experience as a diplomat, and I am glad I did our first trip at Cambridge MUN! The opportunity to meet so many amazing and like-minded people who also had dreams of going to the UN was so much fun. However, this is just one of the memorable moments in my journey. The biggest gem from my university experience has been the professors who always lend an ear to any problems you face whether academic or personal and always looking for the best in you.  Writing in university can be overwhelming. Trying to say your thoughts academically was hard for me at first. However, the academic support team on campus and online (the ASK team) remain by your side and they have helped me through so many tough academic situations. When I was struggling to effectively write, their support helped to change my grades. If you ever need academic help such as writing and structure, the ASK team is the place to go.